The Faces of Agriculture

As in many industries, Agriculture is comprised of so many different people, jobs, and specialties. Today I would like to celebrate all of the wonderful people involved in Ag. Here are their profiles!
1) The Farmer

Description: Most often has rough and weathered hands. Hands that are used to hard work, and willing to help anyone in need. Often seen wearing jeans, boots, and a hat. Most likely very tan from being outside, and strong. Love being around plants and animals, and being outside. Are handy mechanics, patient animal caretakers, resourceful planters, and business people. After all, a family farm is a small business.

Common stereotype; farmers are only male! This is FALSE, there are many women involved in Ag.

Quote: : “I’m proud to be a farmer and to provide the food for American families.”
2) The Animals
Description: Can have two or four legs. Sometimes make funny noises! Clucking, mooing, oinking, baaaaaing etc. Enjoy laying in the sun, and eating A LOT.

Common stereotype; are mistreated! This is FALSE, animals are often considered as part of a farm family and are loved dearly. Animal caretakers feed their animals, make sure they are healthy, and provide adequate shelter. If you don’t believe me, animals are also economically important. So it would be very wasteful to mistreat animals, because then they would not produce as much milk, eggs, meat, etc. On most family farms (which is about 97% of all farms in Pennsylvania), animals all have names, and are treated with respect, and love. Just like my cow, Rosie that you met last semester!

Quote: “MOOOOO”

3) The Plants

Description: Love sun bathing. Enjoy water, minerals, and some good healthy dirt.

Something you probably didn’t know:

Quote: “… “ (Silence, wind blowing through corn plants)
4) Ag Leaders and Professionals

US Secretary of Ag, Tom Vilsack

PA Secretary of Ag, George Greig

Description: May be wearing suits, and involved in public or governmental affairs, but are true Aggies at heart.

Something you probably didn’t know: The PA Secretary of Agriculture is actually a crop and Dairy Farmer from Crawford County! Secretary George Greig

Quote: “”People don’t understand rural America. Sixteen percent of our population is rural, but 40 percent of our military is rural. I don’t believe that’s because of a lack of opportunity in rural America. I believe that’s because if you grow up in rural America, you know you can’t just keep taking from the land. You’ve got to give something back.” United States Secretary of Agriculture, Tom Vilsack

5) YOU AND ME

Description: Everyday, average Americans are ALL involved in Agriculture. We eat food, wear clothing, use fuels, and then eat some more!

Common misconception: “I don’t live on a farm, so I am not involved in Ag at all.” This is FALSE! As long as you eat, you are certainly involved in Ag. I hope you realize that farming and Ag doesn’t have to be this foreign, scary, unknown thing. As an agriculturalist, I want you all to know about what we do, every day, 365 days a year so that you have the best possible food, shelter, and clothes possible.

Quote: “ I LOVE food!” (average American student)

Ha ha I just think this picture is funny! Me tryin’ to kiss a cow… What, you guys have never done that before?

Photos courtesy of USDA, PA Dept. of Ag

7 thoughts on “The Faces of Agriculture

1. Thanks for the comments guys! I am really glad that you are enjoying reading about them! Yay Agriculture!

Brian, you bring up a really good point with the chickens in cages deal. My family acutally has a chicken house with about 100,000 chickens, and they are in cages. However, the chickens have enoiugh room to move around, and actually chickens are very social animals. They absolutely HATE being alone, and will be healthier, produce more eggs, and be happier if with some fellow chickens! There are a lot of laws coming out about the number of chickens per cage etc. and so consumers are bombarded with often false views of what a chicken house looks like. The truth is, that we are very careful about who is allowed inside our Chicken House NOT becuase we have something to hide, but becuase of biosecurity. In fact, because I have been in contact with chickens up here at Penn State, I have to wait about 3a little until I can go into my own famly’s operation! Ironic right! Great Question, I hope that answered it a little!

2. Great post!! Informative and enjoyable and funny all at the same time. Your passion for agriculture is infectious. I applaud you!

3. Such a great post with lots of wonderful pictures. I think that last one sums everything up pretty nicely.

4. I seriously adore your blog. You are so funny and open my eyes to things I have no idea about. When I was reading the part about farmers, Luke Bryan’s “Country Man” was playing over and over in my head. You do such a great job at putting a personal touch on this great information. I love it!

5. You’ve done it again, ma’am. I’m amazed at your blogs! I thought it was pretty cool the way you cleared up many of the stereotypes about farming. I just want you to know that you are accomplishing exactly what you want– to educate everyone about agriculture. Awesome work as always!

6. Another great post! I enjoy reading your blog, it’s easy to read and fun! I was really impressed by that statistic stating that farmers now grow 5x more corn on less land than in the 30’s! That’s insane!

A common idea is that animals are mistreated on farms, and you said they are not; but, what about animals like chickens where we all seen them in tiny cages in documentaries?

7. Sarabeth, I love this! It’s really funny how you quoted the cows and corn, as wall as the secretaries of ag. I think that modern farming often seems foreign and impersonal to people who aren’t directly involved in agriculture, but you do a great job of showing us the human touch and family involvement. I learn something new every week 🙂