Stand Up 2019
The Nomination Process
Deadline for nominations is January 25, 2019.
- Nominators must write a confidential letter on behalf of the student. Please be specific and provide relevant details for the Stand Up Award Committee to consider in their review process. This letter should address the following items:
- How do you know the student?
- How did you become aware of the student’s ethical leadership?
- What did the student accomplish?
- What is the ethical issue(s) that the student’s actions addressed?
- How did the student serve as an exemplar of ethical leadership?
- A three-part essay written by the nominee, of no more than 750 words, describing what was accomplished, the moral reasoning and ethical motivation that led to the action, and how these actions involved and modeled ethical leadership. The nominee can find the editable essay form here. In order to understand the Rock Ethics Institute’s conception of ethical leadership we encourage students to view our Ethical Leadership Education module.
Please have these items complete before submitting your portion of the nomination.
The Rock Ethics Institute inaugurated the Stand Up Award to honor Penn State undergraduate students who have demonstrated courage, fortitude, and ethical leadership by taking a stand for a person, a cause, or a belief. This award and the individuals it honors should remind the entire Penn State community of how often the extraordinary act is possible in ordinary circumstances.