Is Gender Identity Biological?

Gender identity refers to the personal sense of one’s gender. While it can be argued that gender identity is biological, it can also be asserted that gender is the result of social constructs and learned roles.

It has been shown that people raised as the gender opposite their sex identify as the gender that matches their chromosomes not the gender they are raised. One study done reflects the claim that gender identity may be the result of the hormone milieu during intrauterine development. Another study cited shows the examinations of post mortem brain studies, which reflect the hypothesis that differing cerebral networks results in a differing neuroanatomical basis. They link the sexual differentiation of the brain and the differences in grey matter studies to transgender individuals, claiming that the number of neurons in BSTc transgender individuals was more similar to genetic XX females. These studies have shown a biological basis for gender (Gantt). 

On the other hand, it is argued that gender is the result of social and gender roles taught and supported by family and society. Sociological explanations generally rejects the biological one and that the self is composed of multiple identities each determining how a person behaves. This theory helps to explain why gender and certain behaviors surrounding them have perpetuated; males tend to learn dominance and aggression while females are promoted to be collectivistic and expressive. In addition, the family is defined by role identities each based off the individual’s gender, leading to differing treatment and responsibilities depending on gender. Gender is based on the roles developed and perpetuated by society (Gantt). As a result, people may believe it is the result of their biology or a social etiology.  

I agree with the perspective that we are acting out gender roles; role identities are learned early on by differentiated expectations for behavior. The role identity of the mother is nurturing and caring while the father’s identity is control and dominance. Oftentimes when people attempt to change their role, they are often criticized as they are different from the societal norm. Feminine traits are often condemned by males and the opposite is true for females. My personal and role identity have been impacted by my father, leading me to adapt his masculine characteristics, such as being aggressive and independent. My father always made sure that I understood my role in the family and the role I would have in the future (helping my mother and being in control of myself and my actions). In regards to a social identity, my friends and being involved in Scouts definitely helped to shape me. Actions that are more masculine are often endorsed while being feminine is often rejected. 

Despite the ideas surrounding the biological basis of gender appearing more credible, four male individuals had sexual reassignment surgery and afterwards felt more like females than males. While they continued to have XY chromosomes, these individuals still felt like females, alluding to how gender identity might not be biologically based. While ample evidence is provided on why gender is purely based on biology, many of these studies are non-conclusive (Gantt). As a result, I believe that a combination of both biological and social aspects contributes to gender identity.

Gantt, Edwin E. Taking Sides: Clashing Views on Psychological Issues. McGraw-Hill Education Create, 2018.

5 thoughts on “Is Gender Identity Biological?”

1. I think I’ve done a pretty good job of making my conservatism blatantly clear on numerous occasions lol. So it’s kind of hard to wrap my head around all of this. I will say this, I do believe the gender identity crisis has to do with the way parents are raising their children. I think with the past decade, parents have been puppeteering their young children into the belief that they aren’t who they were biologically designed to be, as a sort of way to create little child activist. I also thing the fact that so man men are being raised in single family homes with no father figure socialized them to take on more feminine attributes and thus, have an identity crisis. There is something that just personally does not sit well with me about 5 year olds somehow coming out as transgender. I barely knew what I wanted to eat for dinner at 5, and you’re gonna tell be 5 year olds today know the big issues of gender? It just seemed a bit far-fetched and quite frankly coached. Then you have the parents who allow their 7 year old kids to start taking testosterone or estrogen, and then get gender reassignment surgery when they’re in their teens. I think that is the real issue. Especially since 70% of people who get gender reassignment surgery regret it.

1. I don’t really agree with this. A lot of times parents of those with different gender identities have a hard time accepting that fact and a lot of times it creates conflict between the parent and child. Therefore, I do not see how they would puppeteer them into a different gender if they are uncomfortable or against that. Also, most people don’t take hormones until they are a lot older than 7 because of the impact it has. It is SUCH a hard process to go through. I have two friends who recently/ are currently going through that process and it is soo physically difficult. Interesting opinion though. I have never heard this perspective so thank you for providing it. Have you had a conversation with a trans individual about this?

2. I believe that men and women are inherently not equal. That’s not to say that one group should have more opportunities or liberties than another; they are simply created differently and thus exhibit certain inane traits that result from their respective hormones. Of course, through the idea of individualism, each person is free to live a lifestyle he or she chooses, but in the end, your sex is characterized by what is between your legs, not between your head, and your gender largely (though not entirely) reflects that anatomy.

3. I like that you weren’t afraid to delve into a really controversial topic. It’s really something interesting to think about because as you said “its a social construct” but EVERYTHING is a social construct. The reason everything is called a certain thing is because society called it that. I agree with you that gender is biological but gender identity is something figured out within the individual.

4. It was very brave of you to tackle such a controversial topic in your first passion blog! But I think you did a good job. I agree with you that it is a combination of both biological and social aspects contribute to someone’s gender identity. Without getting into too much detail, I’m just going to say that I think that people should be free to be whoever they want to be.