Penn State locals concerned with university’s appeal for “Happy Valley” trademark

Lilly Forsyth | COMM 460

UNIVERSITY PARK — “Happy Valley” could soon be an official term owned by Penn State, and locals aren’t the happiest.  

According to the Daily Collegian, Penn State appealed its trademark application for the phrase “Happy Valley” under the supplemental register for the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

Penn State lecturer and Bellefonte-resident Stacy Glen Tibbetts said the university is “overreaching” with the appeal. 

“I feel as though registering a trademark like that paints a public image of the university as being a corporate entity,” Tibbetts, 52, said.

He added that he would be personally affected as he recently composed a song titled “Happy Valley.”

Penn State’s initial application was rejected because the judge determined the phrase referred to a location versus a good or service, according to the Collegian.

“I think Penn State continues [pursuing the trademark] because there’s so many different things at Penn State that can bring happiness because it’s such a diverse place, so no matter who you are, where you come from… you can find your place here,” Perkasie-resident Emma Daubert (sophomore-journalism) said. 

Notably, a quick internet search for “Happy Valley, USA,” brings up an extensive list of global locations around the world, including Australia, Hong Kong and Germany that are actually called “Happy Valley.” 

“I’ve lived in this city my whole life, and all I can say is I hope whatever this trademark is that it won’t interfere with the little town we’ve built,” Stephanie Hartley, a librarian in Happy Valley, Oregon said. “I don’t know if it’s a business thing or what, but a phrase that embodies happiness shouldn’t be monopolized. “

Bellefonte-resident and Penn State alumna Jane Li was also unaware of the popularity of the phrase beyond the borders of Central Pennsylvania, but her main concern with the trademark would be the possible censorship from the university toward local businesses. 

Having worked at a retail store before her graduation, Li said that the university would sometimes reject designs that used the phrase “Penn State.” Because of this, she said she feels that, though the business won’t be charged a royalty for using “Happy Valley,” the university would gain executive power over designs. 

“Do you know how many stores sell shirts that say ‘Happy Valley?’” Li said. “If [the university is] picky about those stores are going to be screwed.” 

About the Author

Lilliana Nicole
Lilly Forsyth is a sociology and digital & print journalism double major within the colleges of Liberal Arts and Communications at Penn State University and has plans to graduate in May 2021.

Be the first to comment on "Penn State locals concerned with university’s appeal for “Happy Valley” trademark"