Penn State Students React to Huffman’s Sentence

UNIVERSITY PARK Pa.-Last March, news broke that many wealthy individuals were using fraudulent tactics to get their children into college through a company lead by Rick Singer. Among those accused were actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin.

Huffman was found guilty after paying a proctor 15,000 dollars to correct her daughter’s SAT answers. She was sentenced to 14 days, along with a 30,000 dollar fine and 250 hours of community service.

As the rest of the trials continue, Penn State students have varying opinions on Felicity Huffman’s 14-day sentence.

Rose Gerber, a senior, expressed her frustration.

“Fourteen days in jail is a joke. I think she needs at least a month,” Gerber said. “And the other lady, Lori Loughlin should get two years. She pleaded not guilty but everyone knows she did it.”

As a law student, Gerber feels that the scandal carries an extra weight.

“I’m applying to law schools right now, so thinking about this scandal gives me massive anxiety,” Gerber said.  “If a put in all this work and people are getting into schools because of who they know, it makes me so angry. Hopefully an example is being made of these celebrities so that this doesn’t continue.”

Though some students felt Huffman’s sentencing was too light, others felt it was appropriate for the crime.

“It doesn’t seem like a very serious crime, but 14 days also seems pretty lenient” David Reimold, a junior, said.

One student suggested a completely different punishment for Huffman. “I don’t know if its jail time or if it should be like, she has to pay something else, like fund somebody else’s college for people that can’t afford it,” Joseph Barbusca, a junior, said.

The scandal has shed light on the issues with wealth and nepotism in America, and schools like Yale, USC, and Stanford were exposed for letting underqualified applicants in through bribes and schemes. But for many who work closely to the college admissions process, it didn’t come as a surprise.

JJ Lemon, a high school counselor in Radnor, Pa., knows that college admissions can be a game of wealth, and not just in Hollywood.

“I have had a number of students over the years who have gotten into schools that they aren’t even close to academically, and in some of those cases the parents have even said things directly to me about letting schools know that they won’t be applying for financial aid and can pay full tuition,” Lemon said. “I get that colleges have to bring in enough money to survive, which means they have to have some kids pay full tuition, but they’re not honest with people about what they’re doing, which I think is the real problem.”

Huffman will begin her sentence on Oct. 25.

Be the first to comment on "Penn State Students React to Huffman’s Sentence"