RSS Feed

The Jersey Shore

April 15, 2013 by Stef Smith   

For my very last blog in English 15, I thought I’d write about the Jersey Shore.  I live in New Jersey so I’ve been to lots of the beaches along the shore.  I also remember a lot of people in the class saying they’ve been to the Jersey shore as well.  Well for starters, the Jersey shore isn’t as gross and “guido” as most people think it is.  The TV show gave it a bad rep.  Although, I’m actually really thankful for that TV show now because many of the Jersey shore beaches (especially Seaside Heights) would not be making such a speedy recovery after Hurricane Sandy if it weren’t for MTV.  Hurricane Sandy had some incredibly devastating affects on the shore but I won’t talk about that for now. 

As for beaches along the shore, I have been to Ortley Beach, Seaside Heights, Long Branch, Sandy Hook, Belmar, Seven Presidents, Asbury Park, Ocean Grove, Point Pleasant, Lavalette, Wildwood, and Long Beach Island just to name a few.  If I had to pick, LBI was my favorite.  LBI is beautiful, very clean, and a well guarded beach at the tip of New Jersey.  It’s very quiet, having no boardwalk or street vendors.  But it is very family oriented!  It’s also home to one of only nine Ron Jon Surf Shops in the US!  If you ever get the chance to go, the best and most beautiful beach on LBI (in my opinion) is Barnegat Light so don’t forget to check it out!

Point Pleasant is definitely the most family fun beach with an amazing boardwalk.  It has tons of rides for all age groups, lots of restaurants, and a great aquarium.  If you want to visit a more quiet, family friendly beach I’d have to recommend Stone Harbor.  This is a small, laid-back town with lots of shops, restaurants, and family oriented activities.  This town is a lot less crowded than most of its other beach neighbors.  On the other hand, if you’re looking for more of a party scene I’d reccomend either Belmar or Seaside Heights.  Both of these beaches have more of a “young people scene” with lots of bars and clubs. There’s tons of beaches along the Jersey shore and some are much better than others.  You just have to know which ones to go to!

Here is a list of some of the bests when it comes to beaches:

• Best Boardwalk: Ocean City
  • Best Nude Beach: Gunnison Beach, Sandy Hook
  • Best Surfing Beaches:  Inlet Beach, Manasquan       Whale Beach, Upper Township       Long Beach Island (Southern tip)
  • Best Gay Friendly Beaches:  Asbury Park and Ocean Grove
  • Best Upscale Beaches:  Mantoloking and Spring Lake
  • Best Pet Friendly Beach: Island Beach State Park and Stone Harbor

7 Comments »

1. Sue Kim says:

Since summer is almost on our way, it would be really nice to visit the places that you posted on your post!It’s really rainny outside, so I’m not sure I feel the summer yet, but I can feel the sense of summer from your blog post! 🙂

2. Hyeon Jegal says:

I would always go to beaches when I was younger, since my hometown is a seaside city and the closest beach is only fifteen minutes away from my home on foot. I’ve never been to a beach here in America, except for Santa Monica Beach in California, so I would definitely love to visit some of the beaches on the Jersey Shore!

By the way, now looking at your list, are nude beaches actually real??? That kind of surprises me…

3. Danielle Binz says:

I have actually never been to the Jersey shore so this is some nice information to have incase I ever decide to make a trip there! However, LBI sounds more like the beach I would enjoy the most anyways. I like my beach experience to be more laid back and less party scene.

4. Liz Breighner says:

I have only been to Seaside Heights before because usually I would go to a island or Ocean City, Maryland since I am from Maryland. It is really sad to see pictures of all the destruction that has happened on the New Jersey coast though so I really hope it all comes back better than it was before!

5. Alli Erndl says:

I don’t think I’ve ever been to a Jersey beach. My family usually goes further south. It sounds like there are a lot of nice ones though that I’ll have to visit sometime!

6. Eric says:

I found this blog very interesting to read. Just by bringing up all these beach names you’ve managed to get me to remember some of my trips in the past to these beaches. My favorite from the whole list is Stone Harbor because I got to bring my dog on the beach!

7. Lenda Magaña says:

Out of all the beaches you mentioned I’ve only been to Ocean City. I will certainly try to visit the other beaches you mentioned this summer and see for my self how amazing they are.

You must be logged in to post a comment.