Atalanta: A Women Breaking Barriers

Atalanta ~ Admira Widjaya (Wijaya) and Stanley Lau | Greek mythology gods,  Greek mythology stories, Greek mythology art

Atalanta was the female hero of Greek mythology. She was the hunter known to be better than many men, and her name even means “equal in weight,” displaying her equal abilities, even in a time when men dominated the stories of Greek myth.
Atalanta was favored by the goddess of archery, Artemis, for her skills as a hunter, and the hero swore to virginity in the name of Artemis. From the beginning of her life, Atalanta was compared to men. Born in Arcadia, Greece, Atalanta was abandoned by her father and left to die since she was a woman and boys were favored. Atalanta, with her innate connection to wildlife and nature, was found by a female bear who protected and watched over her until she was saved by a group of hunters who took in the infant girl. Raised by hunters, Atalanta had the ability and teaching to develop her skills. She lived and fended for herself and vowed to her life alone, for she needed and desired no man.
Atalanta is seen in many mythological stories, the most known of which is the story of the Calydonian Boar Hunt. The boar, a sacred animal to Artemis, was a punishment sent by the goddess in her anger towards the Calydonian people for failing to honor her. Among all the men summoned to kill the boar before it destroyed the lands, there was only one woman: Atalanta. Atalanta was first to wound the monster, breaking gender stereotypes, and was given the head and skin of the animal after it was killed.
The other popular story of the Greek hero Atlanta was the story of how she was pushed to marry by her father who suddenly, in Atlanta’s widespread fame, re-entered her life. Atalanta, being one of the fastest people in ancient Greece, which was one of the factors that made her so great a hunter, challenged any man who wanted to marry her to a footrace. If they won, they were permitted to marry her. If not, she would often kill them. Although she was reluctant about marrying, Atalanta believed she could beat any mortal man and never marry.
When Hippomenes came along, he was prepared to win, even though he truly was a slower runner than Atalanta. Using the gods to his advantage, Hippomenes asked Aphrodite for her help. Being the goddess of love, Aphrodite was delighted to assist the young suitor and offered him three golden apples which any mortal could not resist picking up when dropped in front of them. These helped slow down Atalanta and give Hippomenes the opportunity to beat her in the race.
Holding to her promise, the two married and became hunting companions. In that way, Hippomenes never attempted to infringe on Atalanta’s independence as a woman and hunter, and the two lived well together.
The story of Atalanta reminds me of living beyond the notion of a woman’s place in society. Although stereotypes flow strongly through most civilizations, Atalanta’s legacy of feminine strength and equality took place during ancient times. Atalanta never attempted to sacrifice or hide her womanhood, she embraced it for what she wanted to do and became an inspiration to Greek women. For this reason, I wonder why women were still considered less than men oftentimes in Greece.
Atalanta’s story also teaches me that I never have to restrict myself to the positions pushed upon women in society. For example, it is seen by many as a normalcy for women to give birth and raise families today. Personally, I have never felt as though this societal constrict has fit me. Although Atalanta, according to some myths, did have one child, her life story displayed the theme of living her life regardless of preexisting perceptions of women. In light of Atlanta’s inspiration to my own life, I want to learn to live in the way that would make me most happy and not live solely for those around me.

19. October 2022 by jif5419
Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment