PCD Analysis

1. What is deliberation?  (And, what are its key components?) What does not count as deliberation?

~Deliberation is the “careful examination of a problem and a range of solutions through an open, inclusive exchange that incorporates and respects diverse points of view.” Some of the key components are face-to-face discourse and mediated
2. What are the three key criteria for the democratic process?  (please also offer a brief explanation of each)

~ Inclusion: allowing all into the realm of political process that are old enough to understand and take part

~Participation Opportunities: once you are a member of society, there must be involvement to introduce your ideas/thoughts into the deliberation

Putting Issues on the Agenda, Expressing Your Views on those Issues, Voting (directly/indirectly) on the Issues

~Enlightened Understanding: everyone needs to find their stance on different issues (seperates deliberation from unreflectition)
3. What is the role of deliberation in the democratic process?

~ Communication is necessary within any functioning government, and within a democracy deliberation allows for all voices to be heard. This goes back to the 3 crtieria in the above question beause through these steps it is easier to view a wide variety of political standpoints in a less biased manner.

4. What did you learn from this reading?  What do you want to know more about?

~ I learned that there are many different terms, all encompassing the same general idea but vastly different in detail, to describe a conversation/deliberation/discussion/debate/etc. Although I knew the steps for the democratic process, this book presented them in a way that was clearer and easier for me to understand.

5. What did you not understand in this reading?

~I didn’t understand the Lord of the Flies reference, although I have looked it up and will now be watching it tonight. Other than everything was logically laid out and not dull to read through.

This entry was posted in Spring 2013, WIP and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to PCD Analysis

1. Jess Badia says:

I agree that the democratic process was nicely laid out in this book. It was definitely much easier to understand than when my political science teacher explained it! I do not recall the Lord of the Flies reference so I can’t help with that, but I love that movie and book so if you haven’t seen/read it I definitely recommend it!