Eros’ Experience in Shanghai, China

Eros Linarez

Eros studied on the Dept ENGR: Shanghai, Shanghai Jiao Tong University Exchange Program in the Spring of 2015.

If you could give only one reason, why would you suggest other students to study abroad?

There are definitely plenty of reasons why I would suggest any student to study abroad, but if I could only give one, my answer would be to experience the opportunity to experience a totally different culture. Although it may seem uncomfortable at first, experiencing a different culture not only opens up your vision up to the differences that exists in the world but also gives you a different outlook and appreciation to your own culture. There is nothing better than studying abroad.

What was it about your program specifically that fit your personal goals over other programs?

One of my personal goals throughout my studying abroad opportunity was to enhance my communication skills. My program provided me with research and internship opportunities that ultimately helped me achieve this goal. I was able to work with a group of Chinese graduate students on several research projects involving the spray injectors in automotive engines. This not only enhanced my communication skills but it also helped me gain several technical engineering skills.

What advice would you give to outbound study abroad students to help them make the most of their study abroad experiences?

The biggest advice that I would give to outbound study abroad students is to make sure you plan your time accordingly to give yourself time to travel your host country. Although I had several trips to different parts of China, I wished that I would’ve made more time to travel to other parts of China. I would also advice to be weary that there are differences in culture that you might find odd. For example, there are different eating habits in the Chinese culture that are not acceptable in many other cultures. As a result, be ready to experiences vast differences that you are not used to.