Katelyn’s Experience in Granada, Spain

Katelyn Anderson

Katelyn participated on the IES: Granada, Study in Granada Program during the Spring of 2015.

How have you used the skills you learned abroad now that you are back; either in job searching, or in other activities?

One of the most useful skills I acquired abroad was the ability to adapt in new situations. I often find myself in unexpected situations at my internship, as I am working in an industry where I have no experience. So, I am constantly challenged with transforming unexpected obstacles into opportunities to learn and grow. My study abroad experience gave me the skills and mindset I need, not only to adapt, but also to thrive in these fluctuating environments.

What was it about your program specifically that fit your personal goals over other programs?

My program had an intensive Spanish communication program. I was specifically interested in studying in Europe and improving my written and verbal Spanish communication skills.

Katelyn Spain 2
River view in Seville, Spain

What advice would you give to outbound study abroad students to help them make the most of their study abroad experiences?

Make friends with students from your host country! Don’t let fear of being uncomfortable hold you back. Sure, studying abroad with your friends from home/school is fun, but friends who live in your host country are an invaluable resource for you to learn about your host city and its culture. If you study in a country with a different language, it is also the best way to break out of your comfort zone and break the language barrier.