Kristin’s Experience in Limerick, Ireland

Kristin Owens

Kristin studied in Ireland on the Limerick: University of Limerick Program during the Fall of 2015.

If you could give only one reason, why would you suggest other students study abroad?

To experience the world, it really is a small world!

If you could go abroad again, what would you do differently?

If I could go abroad again, I would stay for two semesters instead of one!

What specific factors influenced your decision to go abroad?

The specific factors that influenced me to go abroad was my major (International Business) required me to study abroad, I love to travel, and because I’ve always wanted to study abroad.

What concerns/fears did you have about studying abroad, and how did you overcome them?

Being in a foreign country by myself and not knowing anyone at all. I overcame this by realizing that all of the other international students at the University were dealing with the same thing. And really just by making friends with housemates and other Irish students and International students at the university.

What was it about your program specifically that fit your personal goals over other programs?

My program offered many of the classes that fit my major requirements, and Ireland was also a place that I wanted to travel, so it was the perfect fit. I think that this program also offered a lot for international students while attending the university.

How have you used the skills you learned abroad now that you are back; either in job searching, or in other activities?

I’ve used the confidence that I gained abroad, with searching/applying and interviewing for internships.

Did you participate in any service projects while on your program? How did that enhance your study abroad experience?

I did participate on a service project that involved students making Christmas boxes for children in third world countries. I think that it enhanced my experience abroad because it shows how everyone from all parts of the world is willing to help those in need.

What experiences did you have while studying abroad that you feel you could not have had if you had stayed at Penn State?

Meeting new people from around the world and having a lifelong friendships. Learning not just in the classroom but outside of it as well.

What advice would you give to outbound study abroad students to help them make the most out of their study abroad experiences?

Take every chance and opportunity you get while abroad.

Share an experience where you interacted with someone in your host culture in a way that taught you something.

An experience I had with someone in Ireland, was learning that Americans take things too seriously sometimes. I learned that you just need to relax and let things happen the way that they are supposed to happen sometimes.

Kristin Owens Ireland 2
Group of students at the University of Limerick