Cydney’s Experience in France

Cydney studied in France on the IES: Paris, Business and International Affairs program in Spring 2016.

If you could give only one reason, why would you suggest other students study abroad?

More than likely, no other time in your life will give you this opportunity, to live anywhere in the world for a few months.

If you could go abroad again, what would you do differently?

I would spend more time doing things that I wanted to do rather than what the group chose to do, even if that meant doing it alone. Now that I’m home, I look back and realize all of the things I didn’t go and see or try.

What specific factors influenced your decision to go abroad?

My major is International Relations, so by nature, I am already interested in other cultures. Family members and who had either gone abroad and had the time of their lives or the ones that didn’t and truly regretted it. I have also been dreaming of going to Paris since I was little, so it was really just making a dream a reality. Going abroad was my requirement for going to college – I told my parents I wouldn’t attend if I couldn’t go abroad. It wasn’t even a question for them, it’s the experience of a lifetime that they wanted me to have.

What concerns/fears did you have about studying abroad, and how did you overcome them?

I was scared to be on my own completely. When I left for college, I was nervous about the same thing, but if necessary, I could be home in just a few hours on a bus. When I went to Paris, it would take serious planning and money for me to get home or my family to get to me. Once I got there, I realized that I was good at being independent and if need be, I could take care of myself in case of emergency. Plus, my program had excellent staff members that were always there to help and made sure that we had the information needed such as emergency phone numbers and local hospitals/doctors.

What was it about your program specifically that fit your personal goals over other programs?

Number 1 is that it was in Paris. And 2 is that it offered classes that went with my major.

How have you used the skills you learned abroad now that you are back; either in job searching, or in other activities?

I am already a pretty outgoing person, but in professional settings or places where I don’t know anyone, like most people, I get nervous. When I got home, I had to go on interviews for summer internships and was comfortable talking to people about my experiences and goals. I am also much more likely to go out and do things on my own.

What experiences did you have while studying abroad that you feel you could not have had if you had stayed at Penn State?

Being immersed in all sorts of cultures. I got to travel all over Europe and see different people. I met amazing people that I would have never come across if I didn’t participate in study abroad, people that I know consider to be close friends from all over the country.

What advice would you give to outbound study abroad students to help them make the most out of their study abroad experiences?

Don’t be scared to try things, even if it’s out of your element because that is the whole point. Try to live like the people in whatever city/country that you’re in. You’re supposed to be learning and taking in a whole new culture and order to do that, you have to be brave and put yourself there. That of course is a lot easier said than done and in many instances, I did not do that while I was in Paris and I truly regret it. I am THE pickiest eater, but I tried escargot and it really wasn’t so bad. I was terrified to go to speak another language, the embarrassment was not something that I was looking forward to, but the people help you and appreciate the effort.

Share an experience where you interacted with someone in your host culture in a way that taught you something.

This was within my first week of being in Paris. I was with a friend buying tickets to go up the Eiffel Tower. I had my sunglasses on… we were outside and kept them on when I got to the ticket booth. I greeted the woman in French, saying hello and asking for a ticket. She wouldn’t respond to me and I didn’t understand why. Finally, my friend nudged me and told me to take my sunglasses off. Immediately, the woman started responding to me and apologized. I’m from New York, I wear my sunglasses inside of stores, I couldn’t believe it, and honestly didn’t really understand it. Quickly after, I told myself that I was not in New York, these people are different from me with a different culture, a new set of rules, and a very different social etiquette. Talking to the woman with my sunglasses on was rude. I soon became very accustomed to immediately taking them off whenever talking to anyone (French). Although it was something small, I realized that it’s so important to adapt to wherever you are or whatever situation that you’re in, that’s worldwide, it’s about respect. Now that I’m back in New York, and I love sunglasses, I’m very happy to not have to take them off when I walk into the grocery store or Target.