Maia Edmunds with friends in Seoul

Maia’s Experience in South Korea

Maia studied in Seoul on the CIEE: Seoul, Korean Studies Program in Summer 2016.

If you could give only one reason, why would you suggest other students study abroad?
If I can only give students one reason as to why they should try and study abroad, I would say because the best way to learn about a country is to be there. There is only so much you can learn about a country and its culture online or in books. Having the opportunity to live in another country, socialize and converse with locals, and learn within the country is a very eye opening experience.

If you could go abroad again, what would you do differently?
If I could go abroad again, I would research more about the area I would be staying in for different activities Collage of Korean food, statues, art, and traditional clothingto do nearby. In my program we were lucky and had a week prior to school starting where they took us on excursions outside of Seoul and we got to learn a lot about the Korean culture. Once school started, however, it was difficult finding time to plan weekend trips or look up places to visit. Although I got to see and experience a lot during my stay, I wish I had been a bit more organized.

What concerns/fears did you have about studying abroad, and how did you overcome them?
One of my biggest concerns about studying abroad was the language barrier. I had never taken a Korean class before, and I only knew how to say “hello” and “thank you” prior to leaving. Although I did not become fluent within the seven weeks I was in South Korea, I was able to overcome this concern with practice. There is no way to learn a whole language within the short stay, however learning everyday phrases can help. How to order food, how to say your name, age, where you are from, etc. can go a long way. Everyone was very kind to me, and simply appreciated my efforts to learn and speak with them in their own language.

What advice would you give to outbound study abroad students to help them make the most out of their study abroad experiences?
My advice would be to not be afraid of trying new things, and to fully embrace the culture of your host country. Whether you are studying for the Summer, Fall, Spring, or a whole year, you will not be able to see everything your host country has to offer; but that is okay! Focus on what you can do, not on what you may be missing. Be smart, be safe, and above all have fun! 🙂

collage of water event in Seoul