Diana on the streets of Japan

Diana’s Experience in Japan

Diana studied in Fukuoa-shi and Tokyo on the Penn State Abington CAS 352 Organizational Communication Embedded Program in Spring 2016.

If you could give only one reason, why would you suggest other students study abroad?
It’s something of a culture shock, getting out there and being immersed in a different country. When you come back to your country of origin, you’ll notice the difference. It imparts new vigor to the mind. It also drives you to want to do more, be more, and gives you a new passion for life.

If you could go abroad again, what would you do differently?
I would plan ahead more. There are so many things I wasn’t able to do that I wanted to. I felt I was unprepared; instead this time I would make sure I had a list of places and their addresses ready. I would also keep my health and sleep schedule on point. Additionally, I would make sure all my money and expenses were handled before hand, because our group was actually misinformed when it came to changing over money. The trip itself was great, but if I just went the extra step to prepare more it would have been better.

What specific factors influenced your decision to go abroad?
I just re-entered college after taking a 3  gap years. It has always been my lifelong dream to go to Japan, and when the opportunity came up, I took it. No questions asked, my parents knew I have always wanted to go, and they made it happen. It was a plus that it accredited a class I needed, but just having that opportunity made it enough.

What concerns/fears did you have about studying abroad, and how did you overcome them?
I was terrified of not experiencing everything I wanted to. I didn’t, but I still had the best time of my life with the group I went with. That’s pretty much how I overcame the fear, I let go and just made the most out of it. It was a first time experience, and I’m definitely going to go back and do more one day.

What was it about your program specifically that fit your personal goals over other programs?
My trip was structured more closely towards organizational communication. Therefore, we were able to visit businesses in Japan and ask them questions of how they run their business and what makes them successful or different. We learned how they worked on a global scale. To me it was the perfect fit because I want to work on a global scale or in a different country. I was able to retain all the right information I needed for that.

What experiences did you have while studying abroad that you feel you could not have had if you had stayed at Penn State?
Interior of a Japanese TrainWhen I was over there, I had to travel to Yodobashi, an electronics store that sold Japanese travel sim cards. We were misinformed about the wifi in the country, and I needed to be in contact with my family back home. I traveled to the store by myself which was fine, I have been studying Japanese since I was 18, I’m 24 now. Eventually I realized I was on the wrong train, I got off at the next stop and asked two young girls where the store was. I didn’t realize there were many of them, and I didn’t know where it was located. I just couldn’t help but feel like my parents when they first came to America, and the struggle they went through. It made me appreciate their sacrifice more.