Lindsey in front of European Landscape

Lindsey’s Experience in Germany and the United Kingdom

Lindsey studied in Berlin and London on the CIEE Global Institutes: Berlin, London, Paris, and Rome Program in Fall 2016.

How have you used the skills you learned abroad now that you are back; either in job searching, or in other activities?
Studying abroad really helped me develop skills I never thought I would have gained while abroad. Outside of the classroom, there are endless opportunities to learn new things about yourself. In job searching my new strength is my adaptability. Going from campus to campus in the global institute program helped me be able to adapt to new cultures in a positive way.

Did you participate in any service projects while on your program? How did that enhance your study abroad experience?
I think everyone should seize the opportunity to volunteer and experience locals in the city they’re in. In Berlin, I had the opportunity to help refugees find places to live, find food and clothes, and even help them find new fun things to do around the city. Not only was I able to see new parts of Berlin that I wouldn’t have seen otherwise, but also I was able to learn more about the refugee crisis in a new, enlightening way.

What advice would you give to outbound study abroad students to help them make the most out of their study abroad experiences?
Say yes to everything. While abroad, my best experiences have to do with saying yes to something that originally sounded so weird but cool at the same time. It helped to create the most amazing memories with people I now think I will be friends with for a long time. Saying yes to coming abroad is where it all began, so you’re halfway there after your acceptance!