Charlena’s Experience in Spain

Charlena studied in Spain on the IES: Barcelona Program.

What specific factors influenced your decision to go abroad?

I had a strong passion for learning about new languages and cultures, so I took up the minor of Global and International Studies. The minor also required me to study abroad.

How have you used the skills you learned abroad now that you are back; either in job searching, or in other activities?

I am able to connect with international students more. I understand more about their way of life. America is so different from all of the world, but even just living in Europe for 3 months I have come back to my campus and have made connections with so many students.

What advice would you give to outbound study abroad students to help them make the most out of their study abroad experiences?

Go there with no expectations. Take every opportunity given to you. The rest of the world is not America, so when you go to the other countries don’t expect things to be the same as they are at home. Don’t just travel, Explore. Don’t spend all of your time traveling to other countries! People were constantly leaving Barcelona instead of taking their times to get to know their city and the people who live there. Make the most of where you are and the beauty around you!