Constantinus Studies in the Bahamas

Constantinus studied in the Bahamas on the Embedded Coastal Biology Program.

What specific factors influenced your decision to go abroad?

I wanted to broaden my horizon and open myself up to new experiences. Different cultures have always fascinated me and being able to engage with different cultures has always felt amazing. I want to become a well-rounded individual and I hope to gain this through experiences like studying abroad.

What concerns/fears did you have about studying abroad, and how did you overcome them?

I always had a fear that I would not have all my documentation with me. For example, I was afraid I would lose my passport or lose my boarding pass. I overcame these fears by keeping my important documents together in my backpack when I needed to have them on me and in a safe when I did not. This did not stop me from often checking if I still had everything.

What advice would you give to outbound study abroad students to help them make the most out of their study abroad experiences?

Be open to new experiences since you are going to experience a lot of new things. Don’t try to fit too much in one day but take your time to enjoy what you are experiencing.

Share an experience where you interacted with someone in your host culture in a way that taught you something.

I was not sure how the people of the Bahamas were going to receive a group of students. You could even say I was a little nervous. However, when I was there these nerves were instantaneously gone since we were greeted by smiles. Everyone was very friendly and someone even told me that they were happy that we chose their island out of all the possible islands in the Bahamas.