How much exercise you really need

Let’s face it: some weeks we get by only exercising the bare minimum amount. And, when you factor in exam weeks or that rare time two of your BFF’s birthdays land within days of each other, going light at the gym is completely acceptable. Today, we’re talking about the least amount of exercise required to make sure you don’t set yourself back on the wheel of progress.

According to Dr. Laskowski, it is recommended that most healthy adults get at least 150 minutes a week of moderate-vigorous aerobic activity. We’re talking about running on the treadmill, can’t-chat-because-I’m-breathing-too-heavy aerobic activity. This breaks down to just 30 minutes a day, five days a week. Just make sure your not cheating and spending your 30 minutes on resistance level one on the elliptical, while you text and flip through the magazine all at the same time.

The Department of Health and Human Services recommends incorporating strength-training exercises at least twice a week. In these sessions, make sure to target every muscle group and allow for at least two days of rest in between. While strength training is usually taboo for us ladies, research is finding more and more that women need strength training as much as our male counterparts. In fact, strength training burns more calories after the workout is over than cardio does. For some ideas on a strength training routine to follow, check out bodybuilding.com‘s plan builder. Remember, strong is the new sexy!

girl lmao

Next time you find your week piling up with activities and schoolwork, remember to stay true to five 30-minute sweat sessions and two strength trainings. Stay fit and have fun!

5 Comments on How much exercise you really need

1. rdn11
    December 17, 2015 at 9:21 pm (8 years ago)

Penn State has some amazing exercise research folks. Dr. Jinger Gottschall built a treadmill. Lots of local interviews possible for this blog.

2. mcm5711
    December 12, 2015 at 12:59 pm (8 years ago)

@alp5609 I love the Jamie Easson “live fit” plan! Let me know if you give it a try!@rrc5095 sure does 🙂

3. jrc5727
    December 11, 2015 at 1:01 pm (8 years ago)

I enjoy getting the minimum workout too. Try to make it as fast as possible when I dont have the time gor a full workout.

4. rrc5095
    December 11, 2015 at 10:46 am (8 years ago)

Body pump meets the requirements!!

5. alp5609
    December 11, 2015 at 1:07 am (8 years ago)

This inspire me to take up strength training. What’s your favorite bodybuilding plan?