Passion Blog 5: French Silk Pies

A few days before Mother’s Day, it was discussed that I was going to make a dessert for my family for that day. No one ever talked about it ever again, until the night before when I asked my mom if I was still making something. I really wanted to try out this new pie recipe that was uploaded on YouTube. My mom brushed it off until the next morning; she woke me up super early telling me to make the pies. I honestly panicked because I knew that the pies were going to take a long time because my mom wanted a regular pie crust and not a cookie pie crust.

I pulled myself out of bed, and I started to make the pie crust. I honestly hate making pie crust, so this was a challenge. I added all of the ingredients and used a fork to knead it all together. I had to let this refrigerate for an hour, so while this was happening, I started on my chocolate filling.

This was a rough process because I had to heat a chocolate bar on my stove, but I had to be sure I did not burn it. I also did not have a food thermometer, so I had to use an actual thermometer which did not go higher than 105 degrees. I had to guess the temperature of my chocolate, then let it cool. I add this melted chocolate to a mixture of powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream.

I got my pie crust out of the fridge, rolled it flat, put it in a pie pan, and then put it in the oven. Once it was cooked, I let it cool, then added the chocolate mixture, then put it in the fridge to harden for 4 hours.

I then started making the homemade whip cream. This is a super easy process. You put heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract in a bowl, and you mix until it has taken whip cream form. Once my pies chilled long enough, I topped them with this whip cream. Finally, I shaved chocolate on top of it.

My family enjoyed the pies. They were a perfect Mother’s Day treat. Down below I attached the links to the YouTube videos for the pie and crust recipes. I also attached a picture of the pies I made!

2 thoughts on “Passion Blog 5: French Silk Pies

1. It looks so good!! I actually do not like cake that much, but I love pie, so this is absolutely perfect. Reading this made me want to bake something for my mom next Mother’s day. I am not that good at baking, but I want to try this recipe one day, so I can see how it turns out. I also like that you added videos, so we can all make it if we wanted to. Your blog also just made me so excited because pies remind me of fall, and I cannot wait for all the pumpkin and apple pies.

2. This looks so good! I have personally never made a pie before, but I have helped my mom making plenty. This is a pretty long and tiring process and from your story it sounded like it was a very early start to a day of baking. It looks and sounds like it was well worth the work though. It is amazing that you were able to use these recipes and videos and perfectly create such a beautiful result. I would never be able to bake like that even with all of those instructions. Good work on the pies and good luck with your future baking!