Process Consultation surveying

In Human Resources surveys are generally used in the 360 degree feedback effort. As a human resources professional I have often administered these surveys. When given the opportunity to be the person completing the survey, however I had an opportunity to experience it myself, here is a little about my experience…

I recall a specific survey administered by a team member relations manager asking for feedback regarding senior management. The survey asked how likely I would recommend the company as an employer. While the company as a whole scored mostly 8,9, or 10 ‘s on average (from a 1-10 scale where 10 was the highest), I found most rated a 10. Then there was an open ended comment area that asked for the reason for your score.

As I read comments, I noticed this was a good opportunity to gain insight on descriptive needs for coaching and development. There was mention of lack of follow-up, feedback and positive reinforcement that caused stress and lack of engagement when subordinates were addressed. There was also mention of long hours and burn out experienced, due lack of support from senior leadership. Responses also attested to the opportunity for tuition reimbursement as a desirable benefit, the entrepreneurial environment as a factor of enjoyment, and the flexibility the company offered. To sum up the senior management team’s reaction, me being the liaison taking action on surveys, defensive behaviors and questioning of intention arose. This made work uncomfortable and avoided addressing team members concerns.

The 10 was not a reflection of the employee experience, rather an attempt to be a team player and keep scores high. Therefore, I suggest face to face discussions exemplified in process consultation as a way to confront and resolve relationships in the workplace, as oppose to survey score to be a main factor in employee tempo. Scores cannot gauge the true tone and climate of team members feedback. Simply going by scores and neglecting to take action on comments result in a genuine attempt to change employee relations. The number one complaint of poor quality in customer service is feeling a sense of indifference. The lesson remains unspoken, listen to understand and understand by listening. We can show people we care if we just place concern in their thoughts and attempt to engage their uncertainty.

Thank you for listening.

2 thoughts on “Process Consultation surveying

1. Tere,

Great point about tone!

Also, did this experience cause you to think differently about any of the surveys you had conducted yourself before your participation as a respondent in this one? If so, in what ways?

Katrina

1. Hi there,

I would say that it did make me think about the importance of follow up with surveys. It is key to the integrity of the survey process.

Thank you for your comment.