Facework

Facework is a powerful concept that if utilized correctly can inspire gainful relationships with others. In the training and development of talent it is important to understand the term “save face”. Your stakeholder must be vested and moved in the client relationship to secure effective dialogue and fruitful communications.

Almost daily, I implemented facework during trainings, meetings, and public social interactions. A specific time where I role modeled parts of a training, I had a high sense of awareness for my interpersonal communication, as I exemplified the behaviors and lessons from the trainings. The training consisted of effective coaching and communication with subordinates. I monitored my coaching and teachings to reinforce how managers could inquire and develop others when hey found themselves tasked with coaching. Some Manager’s lacked the skill set to coach and found themselves feeling shy and unable to roleplay. To save face groups were able to name a spokesperson, and therefore allow learning from observing other managers, without making anyone feel uncomfortable.

This approach was one that was effective for the training, and one that resembled a supportive manager that taught others through coaching. The goal was to coach them into being executive coaches. Simulated coaching sessions and expertise advice also played a factor into facework with the class. Peer learning and group work assignments during training strategically gained control of the room, for others to follow me as a leader and trust the learning interventions. As a trainer, maintaining your audience trusting and engaged by serving in a leader context is one that resulted effective for this audience.

Learning more about Face Work: 

Face is the social value that an individual (the actor) implicitly claims in a given situation and role. The other person (the audience) will sustain that claim if it falls within the institutionalized limits according to the given status or role. Face work is what both the actor and the audience do when the claim cannot be sustained. Our cultural rules have taught us to sustain the claim even when the claim of social value is obviously false. If someone consistently makes claims of social status that are false, we will avoid that person rather than confronting and humiliating him or her. We tend to go to great lengths to avoid losing face as well as to keep others from losing face. Within our society we have an implicit contract to sustain social claims.

The process consultant must be aware of and sensitive to maintaining the client’s face, as any act that might humiliate the client would obviously undermine the consultant–client relationship. When a consultant grants a client face, it creates status equilibrium.

One thought on “Facework

1. Hi Teresa- Your example really resonated with me. I am in the classroom a lot and in situations where I am coaching employees, so I have experienced the same type of situations. I also appreciate you putting the additional information at the end as a reminder of what face work is. It’s an interesting concept and definitely something we are going to have to keep top of mind as consultants! Thanks for sharing!