Celebrity Marriages: Destined to Fail?

Posted by on Sep 20, 2012 in Passion | 6 comments

As you have probably guessed form the title of this post, this week’s topic is celebrity marriages. For some reason, celebrity marriages seem to function differently than those of regular people; they seem to last for surprisingly short periods of time and at times don’t even seem real. This week I chose to focus on a celebrity couple who have just recently tied the knot…

Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds!

The couple secretly got married just the other week after dating for almost a year. Reynolds has been married once before to actress Scarlett Johansson and engaged to singer Alanis Morisette. Lively has never been previously married or engaged but that’s probably due to her being only 25.

One of the concerns surrounding this particular union are Ryan Reynolds and his previous relationships. He was divorced for a little over a year and he is already re-married to someone new.  For the past ten years he has been in ongoing serious relationships with 3 different women; all with the intent to marry.

Can Lively and Reynolds actually survive their union? The track record of Reynolds doesn’t suggest this and yet they seem relatively happy. Is this a twisted PR stunt? The tabloids have definitely been abuzz with this recent news and there have been many cover stories about the recent nuptials.

Why do celebrity marriages come off as so frivolous? Are we as the public missing something or is this where the state of marriage is currently heading?

Don’t be afraid to leave a comment! See you next week!

6 Comments

1. Aha! I am so glad you wrote about this. I, personally, was upset when I heard about Blake and Ryan because I do in fact have this preconceived notion that celebrity marriages are doomed to fail, quite frankly, I like Blake Lively too much to have to sit back and watch it happen to her. Even though I like her as an actress, it doesn’t raise my hopes about this marriage; I think it is doomed just like all the others. It is sad, and I wish I knew the psychology behind why none of these celebrity “marriages” seem to work. It seems to almost be a different culture altogether, a culture where time with somebody does not matter. Any guesses on how long this will last, anyone? Poor Blake.

• When I first heard of their marriage I gave it 6 months tops; but looking at Ryan’s past relationships they might stay together for a little longer. I think its really sad that being in the public eye can put such a strain on a relationship. I think that as non-celebrities we can’t understand the day to day stresses that these people go through and so we are baffled when these relationships fail for seemingly no reason. All in all I wish them luck and hopefully their divorce won’t be too messy

2. WAIT WHAT SCARLETT AND RYAN AREN’T TOGETHER ANYMORE. There children would have been really attractive…but I guess anyone whose dad is Ryan Reynolds would be extremely hot. But I think you really bring out a good point and it’s sad that so many celebrities have gone through marriage after marriage after marriage. I think it has something to do with the aggressively public and stressful life that comes with being a celebrity. Finding true love is difficult in that setting and sometimes I can’t blame them. We’ll never know what’s truly going on between two celebrity lovers, but I’m going to be optimistic and say that they truly are looking for someone and they just haven’t found it. And maybe normal people are still going through this, but it’s just not public.

• I definitely agree that life as a celebrity is super stressful. I don’t think that I could handle having hundreds of thousands of people in my business 24/7. It’s interesting to think that celebrity problems are the same as ours but just more public. I think we’re told to believe that celebrities are in a class all their own so they can’t possibly have the same problems as us.

P.S- I totally agree that Ryan Reynolds is extremely attractive; I would take Blake’s place if I could

3. Stop. I am actually obsessed with Ryan Reynolds!! When I heard they got married I was freaking out because it literally felt like they just filmed the movie “The Green Lantern” together. I want them to stay together for as long as possible but they’re a celebrity couple… I honestly don’t think it will last because of the amount of press they get and how soon they got married. I know at a certain age, it doesn’t really matter what the age difference is but Ryan is like 10 years older than Blake, right? I really want this marriage to work but I don’t have such high hopes… Good post though!! I really enjoyed reading it 🙂

• Thanks so much for the compliment! That’s so sweet. I wish I could be optimistic and say that Blake and Ryan will stay together for a long time but that probably won’t happen. I really can’t even think off the top of my head a celebrity marriage that has lasted more than 10 years; which is really sad if you think about it. And I also think its cute that they met and fell in love filming “Green Lantern” because I’m a sucker for things like that.