WIP- Paradigm Shift Ideas

Posted by on Oct 12, 2012 in Uncategorized, Work In Progress | 3 comments

For my Paradigm Shift Paper I’m thinking of exploring the shifts in marriage starting in the 90s until now. The reason for choosing this topic is that I have noticed that the way that people view marriage in this generation is vastly different than those of an older

generation. In older years, people viewed marriage as essential to a happy life but now it is viewed as purely a religious institution.I will definitely be looking at various marriage statistics concerning things such as opinions on marriage, gender roles, etc. I will be taking this information from graphics such as the one on the right. I can also draw from personal experiences such as people of an older generation that I can talk to and also my peers from my own generation.

Through our class lesson on Thursday, I already have a couple of credible sources for my paper. Sites such as the CQ Researcher, and the Gale Virtual Library will be very helpful in aiding me with my research. I think that I will be able to excel at researching this topic because marriage is something everyone has an opinion on and can relate too. I will also be able to tie in my personal experiences with things such as marriage and divorce for the paper

3 Comments

1. I think Allan is right that there are many ways to take this topic. Religion is one, age of marriage is another, and even purpose of marriage might be a third. Do some more research and think about not only the shifts in numbers you’re seeing but also which of those shifts indicates a change in the way we think about marriage, commitment, love, or religion.

2. This is definitely an interesting topic to write about! I think it’s ironic how your passion blog is about what is “hot” in the celebrity world and to be honest, a big thing among celebrities on gossip websites have been marriages and divorces. Over the years, I noticed how the trend in marriages has changed. People used to take their time on deciding on marriage and making sure that the person they truly love is the right one to be married to. Nowadays, a lot of people are taking advantage of becoming “eloped” in Vegas or getting married too young. A perfect example of this (to tie it in to your passion blog haha) is Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth. She has only known him for so long and is still so young so I feel that they rushed into things. If they were living in earlier centuries, they might have had a different sort of relationship, even though people were getting married at a young age back then as well. Marriage has shifted in so many different ways throughout the years that I think you will have plenty of information to write about for this paper. Good luck!!

3. The shift in the idea of marriage should be full of different cultural values and should have a plethora of research. The sky high divorce rate is definitely a little upsetting because it shows that so many people are unhappy. It might also speak to how what people expect out of a marriage is drastically changing as well. Before, I think the mentality of marriage was that the person to whom you are married must be perfect. However, I think now our society is just too busy to go through all the hassle and has often gotten married too quickly or acted upon their impulses too much. There’s many different ways to explore the paradigm shift of marriage so make sure to narrow it down so that you have a specific focus. I also think that this religious issue is steeped very heavily in politics so you could also talk about how media has reintroduced politics to our every day lives. I think the political backlash is mostly focused on gay rights so that could also be another avenue of exploration. Great topic!