Celebrity Parents

Posted by on Oct 18, 2012 in Passion | 2 comments

This week’s post is about what seems to be a very prevalent problem in the world of Hollywood: Celebrity Parents. It seems that everywhere you turn there are these really screwed up stories about parents who just throw their kids into the while in order to be famous. These kids grow up with little or no structure, making exorbitant amounts of money, and a severe problem develops.

An example of this is Ms. Lindsay Lohan. She is everyone’s favorite coked out, has been actress. It seems that Lindsay can never seem to get her life together. Every time I hear her name she is either arrested, in court, or doing something illegal. Many people may be quick to blame Lindsay’s downfall on her terrible life choices but there may be another side to the story.

A few weeks ago the popular tabloid website obtained audio of a phone call between Lindsay and her father Michael while Lindsay rode in a car with her mother Dina. This isn’t your run-of-the-mill call to your dad. In the clip Lindsay tells her father that her mom is on drugs, acting like the devil, and explains that they had gotten into a physical altercation whilst partying. Furthermore, Lindsay brings up money problems; like how she gave $40,000 to her mother who now wants more. The call becomes even more strange as Lindsay’s dad continuously tells her that she is being kidnapped by not only the driver of the car but her mother as well

By just listening to this 2:00 minute clip, one can see into the eccentricities of the Lohan family that they may consider normal. Drugs, partying, and a lack of structure are all something that Lindsay has been surrounded by since her emergence into the acting world.    Why does it seem that these parents will do anything to propel their children and themselves into the spotlight. Lynne Spears, Courtney Love, Joe Jackson just to name a few. I think there needs to be a better awareness surrounding these child stars and their parents; because it’s not okay to exploit your children to the point of being Lindsay Lohan.

2 Comments

1. While her childhood and family life is definitely a little screwed up, I think it shows how anything can be normal once you get used to it. Her mom taking money and doing drugs might be very out of the ordinary for us, but her lifestyle allows that to happen. Likewise, a kid in a very poor family might be used to things like stealing for food, abusive parents, and going to bed without dinner. I’m not trying to be an asshole saying “POOR KIDS HAVE WORSE PROBLEMS THIS ISN’T AN ISSUE SHE’S RICH” because I truly believe that all kinds of suffering and issues are valid and require help. I just think it’s cool to think about what might be normal to me might be totally crazy for the next person. An example from my life is that my dad used to play this really bizarre Japanese rock band in the car on road trips. One of the songs was entitled “Tortoise Brand Pot Cleaner,” and the lyrics consisted entirely of what sounded like words right off of a pot cleaner label. I never gave a second thought to the music, but now I realize it’s very, very, very bizarre….

2. I am so intrigued by celebrities, as embarrassing as that may be. And Lindsay Lohan is definitely one of my favorites to hear about. I can honestly say that I can quote basically the whole movie “The Parent Trap,” and since I was a child, I always really looked up to America’s sweetheart, Lohan. Within the past few years, as I’m sure you’ve picked up on, Lindsay has gone down an awful road. This blog post truly proves that, nice job!