Weddings, Last Names, and Pink Dresses

Posted by on Oct 25, 2012 in Passion | 2 comments

So once again, I’m writing a post about marriage. It seems redundant but my paradigm shift paper is on this topic also so it seems fitting. As some of you may know Justin Timberlake tied the knot recently with longtime girlfriend Jessica Biel who you may remember from 7th Heaven. People Magazine has already run a spread on the wedding with pictures like the one in this post.

My post this week isn’t about the fact that the couple are married but the fact that Jessica Biel is now changing her name to Jessica Timberlake.  I just wanted to take this opportunity to examine the issue of changing one’s name due to impending nuptials. Jessica Biel is an established actress, even though her days of fame may be behind her, who does have many doting fans who know her by her former name. But now she will be giving up her professional name in order to carry on the Timberlake name. Is it wrong that she  as an established and successful woman will be trading in the name with which she became famous? Some would argue that in the patriarchal society we live in this practice needs to end while others argue that even if a woman doesn’t take on her husband’s name she is still saddled with the name of her father. Why don’t more people go with the middle ground and hyphenate or is that more of a hassle.

It seems to come down to personal choice. The couple looks happy and Jessica remarked that she is ecstatic to change her name. What do you all think? Is there still merit in a woman changing her last name or should we transition into keeping our names?

2 Comments

1. I decided to keep my own last name when I got married. Partly because I already have degrees and a professional reputation with my name, but partly because I really like my name! We did consider hyphenating, like you suggested, but in the end it seemed more complicated. I think Alicia is right, too, that some people may interpret it as a lack of commitment. No one has voiced objections to me keeping my name, and I think that’s important. Not only is it nice to have the choice, but it’s nice to know that people are supportive!

2. I definitely see the merit of keeping your own last name — it allows you to keep your own identity and can signify independence in a society where women are still struggling to be viewed as equals to men. However, at the same time, I really like the idea of changing your name. It signifies a oneness and commitment between you and your partner, both of which seem to be somewhat fading values in today’s world.

I definitely agree that it should be left up to personal choice. That is most important — whatever your partner and yourself agree on is what is really best for you! I think that it’s really most important to be happy with your partner and to do with your last name what you choose together.