Civic Issues 1: Energy Crisis

My civic issues blog this semester is going to be on the environment focused on the subcategory of energy. With that being said, let me dive right in. We are in the midst of an energy crisis.

Current Energy Crisis

According to Forbes, crude oil, gasoline, natural gas, and coal are all skyrocketing in price. We are all feeling the effects of these increases in gas prices, and overall inflation in our country. This is not just a national problem. Europe has it even worse with electricity prices quintupling and natural gas prices even higher than the US.

Source: Bloomberg

There are a multitude of causes for these skyrocketing prices including recovery from the pandemic, the interconnectedness of the natural gas markets and, most importantly, the signs of energy price volatility during the energy transition away from fossil fuels. (Brookings)

When I say, “we are in the midst of an energy crisis,” I am not only talking about price increases in the past year, but our continued reliance on nonrenewable energy resources worldwide. According to the US Energy Information Admiration, renewable energy resources accounted for about 12.6% of US energy consumption and about 19.8% of electricity generation. Not only are nonrenewable resources eventually going to run out, but burning of coal, natural gas, crude oil, and other nonrenewable resources damages our environment causing global warming.

We are already feeling the effects of climate change and according to many scientists we are reaching the limits of being able to reverse its effects. There is a reason governments are pushing renewable energy resources, but are renewables ready yet?

Source: McMurry Univeristy

Are Renewables Ready?

Economist Ed Yardeni does not think they are ready: “Renewables aren’t ready for prime time. So instead of a smooth transition, the rush to eliminate fossil fuels is causing their prices to soar and disrupting the overall supply of energy.”

Yardeni might be right. After all, look how little of our energy consumption is from renewable resources. Maybe we just do not have the technology to meet our energy needs with renewables sufficiently.

But maybe he is wrong. Do we not have widespread renewable energy usage because our world needs the encouragement of energy price increases to change its ways and better the environment.

I do not know the right answer. I lean more toward agreeing with Yardeni, that renewables are simply not ready yet. That they are too expensive, and we need more breakthroughs to make a smooth transition. I believe if they were already good enough, we would have implemented them at a larger scale than what is already being done.

If you tend to believe Yardeni is wrong and that we need price hikes to encourage renewable energy, one thing to consider is that price hikes would disproportionately affect the lower classes in our society. Maybe these effects do not matter if the alternative is destroying our planet, but they are still important factors in a solution to global warming.

Source: New York Times

Nuclear Power as a Solution

As of right now, I am not sure there is a perfect answer to our energy crisis, but one small solution I think should get more attention is leaning more on nuclear energy during our transition.

Nuclear energy is a clean nonrenewable resource. After a few widely publicized meltdowns including, Chernobyl, Fukushima, and Three Mile Island, the public is hesitant to support nuclear power, but the clean nature of its operation should be enough to encourage its support over coal and other fossil fuel alternatives. Nuclear power could be our clean bridge to renewable energy.

Let me know in the comments if you think renewables are ready for “prime time” or if you have any other solutions to our current energy crisis.

Thanks for reading!

1 Comments

1. Galen Sutterlin January 23, 2022 at 7:05 pm

Hey Nolan, your first post for your civic issues blog is great. The energy crisis is a dire issue that too many people deny or are not ready to face. Gases and fossil fuels are long past their expiration date, and it’s time that we start making a greater effort to transition to renewable energy.
    I agree with you that nuclear energy is a (relatively) effective first step. Although it’s technically a “non-renewable” resource, it’s energy is not expended as fast as petroleum and other fuels. A single fuel rod of uranium, the most commonly-used material in nuclear plants, can last up to six years before all the energy is extracted. Also, mentioning the reactors that failed is a good thing. These big name reactors that suffered a meltdown were special cases, a mere 3 out of over 400 plants worldwide.
    Public perception of nuclear energy is worse than it should be, but it’s for reasons other than the publicly disclosed meltdowns. Nuclear energy generates large amounts of waste that can be extremely harmful and last for thousands of years. Sometimes the waste has to be stored far underground to avoid wildlife or human exposure.
    Do you think that there could be a better option than Nuclear? It seems that it’s the best option right now, but there’s much more to consider. Do you think the benefits of nuclear energy outweigh the costs? There are also many other forms of clean energy, such as hydro, geothermal, and biomass energy sources.
    To respond to your last question, I think now is the prime time more than every for renewable energy. There have been breakthroughs with solar energy, whether it’s new variations of solar panels or solar panels being integrated into the roofs of houses. Personally, my family has an array of 16 solar panels, and we generate enough energy that we add energy to the grid and get paid for it. I think it’d be best if we move away from natural gas as soon as possible, before our situation gets any worse.

I appreciate your post and I think it’s a very relevant and interesting topic. It was a great read.

Sources: nationalgeographic.org
    world-nuclear.org

Reply