“You Wanted the Best! You Got the Best! The Hottest Band in the World!!! KISSSSSSSSSS!”

comics-blow-out193 Psycho9 psychocircus12To continue on my music and rock/metal adventure I am going to visit one of the biggest bands ever and their super show spectacular mentality….KISS. Starting off as Wicked Lester, then became the band we all know so well. Gene, Paul, Peter, and Ace created hit songs, creative stage characters/personas, and a spectacular show. It matched shock rock in the story telling, the pyro, and the spectacle. It matched horror because of the characters they made, the spaceman, the catman, starchild, and the demon (later the Ankh Warrior and the beloved Fox Eric Carr),  and the “Psycho Circus” comics that followed years after they became iconic and business savvy.  KISS did it for the music, did it for the fans, and did it for rock and roll. And the KISS Army followed loyally in droves, and still do (we have the jackets, member cards, and patches to prove it), and KISS virtually created what was to be the Arena Rock type of genre in a way. They filled massive stadiums as pyro flew, ace blew up his guitar with fireworks, levitating drum rises, and the demon spitting blood and breathing fire. KISS became their characters and brought them to life, costumes and all, and at this time bands were becoming massively popular and even mainstream, rock and metal were finally getting noticed, and like horror, still often protested, but also now beloved by many. KISS used music to tell a story and later make a brand. they released the KISS coffin, KISS comics (images below), KISS toys, videos, costumes, masks, CDs, and virtually anything else you could possibly imagine. Like many other bands later on and some of the classic horror franchises like Elm Street and Friday the 13th, KISS became a household name, seized the day and ran with it….still are if I do say so myself. saw them live 2 years ago, AMAZING! Deuce, Cold Gin, Rock and Roll all Night, Black Diamond, and Beth still get crowds screaming. KISS wanted to “Rock and Roll all Nite and Party Everyday!” and that’s just what they did, so we might as well join the party.

2 thoughts on ““You Wanted the Best! You Got the Best! The Hottest Band in the World!!! KISSSSSSSSSS!”

1. Lisa Keim says:

I really enjoyed reading this post! My dad is a fan of KISS, so I would definitely know some of their songs if I heard them, although I can’t name any off the top of my head. I was always kind of intrigued by them because of their stage performance and makeup, but I see now that there is way more to the band than that! It’s so cool how they used both music and performance to tell a story! People can be quick to judge them because of their style, but after getting more information about the band, it’s hard not to appreciate what they do, and it’s easy to see why their fans are so loyal. This was a great post, and I can’t wait to read the next one!

2. Lillian says:

The first time my younger brother (who is a drummer) showed me this band, I was a little taken back by their makeup and style. After reading this blog post, I now really think I should give them a chance and listen to some of their music. Really liked how you wrote this post!