Why PR?

When I first applied to Penn State, I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do. I was accepted into the Division of Undergraduate Studies, and for two semesters I was desperately trying to seek out a major that fit all of my career interests. Although I wasn’t sure what exactly I wanted to do with my life, I knew what I didn’t want to do. I didn’t want math. I didn’t want science. I didn’t want a boring desk job. I didn’t want a job where there was no human contact. I didn’t want a job that was static and not constantly changing. I didn’t want a slow job. I wanted to do something where I could communicate with people, and do different tasks each day. I love working at a fast pace, and I never like when things become routine. After explaining all of this to my adviser, she pointed me in the direction of PR, and let me just say, it’s been an amazing match!

Throughout my time here at Penn State, I’ve taken many PR classes that have only continued my interest and love for the field. I’ve never been an amazing test taker, and instead, writing has always been one of my stronger qualities. I know that PR requires a lot of writing, and I’ve always felt up to that challenge. I’ve also always loved social media and planning events. I’m always attached to my phone catching up on the latest news and trends, and I’ve always been the planner when it comes to my group of friends (every group needs one). Once I realized that these are two important aspects of PR, I couldn’t wait to get started in the professional world.

It was after I got accepted into the major when I realized how many different angles one can actually go in with a PR degree. Whether one is interested in politics, healthcare, science, corporate businesses, non-profit organizations, entertainment, fashion, or sports, there’s a place for PR in every industry. Personally, I’ve always been interested in entertainment and fashion, and I’d love to someday be able to work within either of those fields. With graduation coming in May, I’ve only been becoming more and more excited to get out into the professional world of PR and to see what the future brings!