Passionate Ideas

I’m about to start another blog about things I care about. Here are my top two ideas:

1. Music in the hard rock/metal universe

I listen to a lot of heavy music, which is typically not considered mainstream. It’s more an underground subgroup of rock, and is often passed over by the less hardcore world. I really love this music, and I’m actually just discovering it for myself, so I thought it would be fun to post about it as I came across new bands and new styles. If I’m going to be honest with myself though, I don’t think anyone would want to read it–at least in this class. Maybe like… one person? And even if they did, they probably wouldn’t listen to the music. That’s okay though, because I know there must be a more relevant topic which I can write about. Something I’m really passionate about. Something like…

2. Feminism

Oh yes, I’m going there. I’ve actually already decided this is the topic I want to settle on. Why? Because most people really don’t know what it is, or how it’s relevant to them, and they should. We’re talking about civic life in this class? Well as a political science/women’s studies major, I consider teaching people about feminism to be part of my civic responsibility. My goal for the blog each week would be to write about a feminist issue in society today. To give you a sampling of what I have in mind, I’ve already picked out a few topics: What is the real definition of feminism and what are its goals, the politics of feminism, women in the media, women in relationships,ย the difference between sex and gender, how men can be feminists, and so on. I want to make it interesting and accessible to everyone, because I want people to actually enjoy reading it. That way, they’ll come back to learn more about this important topic. And I doubt I’ll ever run out of things to say.

Tags: , ,

3 comments

1. I’m really glad that you are a rock fan! I’m actually a rock fan too. Your passion blog caught my eyes, because of the genre “music”. However, I’m impressed that you brought up the idea “feminism”. It can be categorized as quite sensitive topic. It’s not an easy thing to state your opinion this publically. Anyways, I really love your ideas! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Wilson Noah Mazile

Hey Isabella, I totally agree with your feminism idea as a passion blog. Not a lot of people in this country especially women understand its concept, and because they can’t understand it, they ignore and devalue its meaning. I personally would like to know more about feminism so that I can appreciate it and possibly one day promote this ideology to the world. (I’m a politics major too) I will be reading your blogs a lot more now to learn more about Feminism. I’m not much of a hard rock fan so my comments on that won’t be as enthusiastic as for Feminism, but if it is truly your passion then I would love to read about it.

3. I really like your ideas! I’m actually a rock fan myself so I would love to read about your opinions of the music genre. The choice that you went with also sounds very interesting though. It seems to me that these days feminists are thought of as unnecessary just because woman have the right to vote, but it couldn’t be farther from the truth. I’m glad you decided to speak out and show some insight on what feminism is, since not all people seem to understand it. Looking forward to it!