The Politics of Feminism

I’ve been reluctant to post a blog like this since I began, but I think we all know each other in this class by now, and we’re mature to handle some controversial topics.

I’ll begin by stating the obvious: Feminism is an extremely political issue. And while different people capitalize on different values of the movement, on a political front, this can only occur to a certain extent. The idea or version feminism is not rigid is called “lifestyle feminism.” For example, a woman may call herself a feminist, but insist that she has the right to fill a role in a typical patriarchal society by becoming a housewife instead of attending college. Some more radical feminists might condemn such an idea, asserting that not everyone can be a feminist just because they feel like it; one has to stand for certain things. It’s true that not everyone who calls themselves a feminist is actually a feminist. But there’s nothing explicitly anti-feminist about becoming a housewife. What’s important is that the housewife supports feminist values and female empowerment–even if she chooses not to participate in it. And this is where politics comes in.

Let’s keep going with our housewife example and consider the movement for equal pay in America. A housewife might not have or want a job, but she must support equal pay and equal opportunity for women if she is to be a feminist. Not supporting equal pay or the deconstruction of the glass ceiling goes against the entire definition of feminism, which describes a movement against sexism, sexist exploitation, and oppression. If you are not in political support of equal pay for everyone, you are contributing to a system of oppression and exploitation, and you are keeping women from fair wages and empowerment in the workforce. You are not a feminist. Period.

Let me move to one more topic, probably the most controversial of all:  Pro-life or pro-choice. Hear me out guys, you might find this isn’t as radical as you think. Here’s the thing. Feminism is all about empowering women to make their own choices and in control of their own body. That means a feminist will support a woman who chooses to get an abortion, or chooses not to get an abortion. And a person can support a woman’s right to choose, even if they themselves would never consider abortion to be an option for them. In short, a feminist can be pro-life!… They simply cannot be anti-choice. Taking away a woman’s right to choose takes power away from women, further oppressing them, and this goes the very definition of feminism.

Listen now: I know a lot of you may not agree with this, and that’s ok. The point is,  a woman deserves the ability to choose, and have control over their own body. But remember: the issue of abortion isn’t necessarily the end-all-be-all of female reproductive rights. A feminist might support a woman’s right to ultimately choose what to do with her body, without personally condoning abortion. What can they do? Well, while abortion should be an option for those who choose it, a feminist can also promote things that prevent the need for abortion in the first place. This is why many feminists support a woman’s right to choose and discussion about things like birth control and safe sex.

I understand I’ve said a few controversial things here, and I can understand if anyone doesn’t agree. But I hope you’re beginning to see what I mean. If you don’t agree with anything I said, or have another idea of what a feminist should be doing poltiically, I encourage you to post it in the comments. Just be polite, please!

Bell Hooks. Feminist Politics: Where We Stand, 2000.

Tags: , ,

5 comments

1. I can imagine that when you wrote this you were saying every word out loud first before you typed it. This post feels like a rant to me which is ok sometimes but I would stray more to the unbiased side when talking about stuff like this. Show both sides of the issue and let the reader decide.

2. Mahbub Ahsan Rashid

Though your reasoning were indeed controversial,I think they have strong backup and you clearly make a good argument.I just want to add something controversial of my own if you dont mind.Some girls actually prefer to be anti-feminist themselves.They believe more in the fact that most of their decisions should be dictated by their guardians or even husbands.They think men have the right to have the great power.Most of these women have these beliefs because of the families they come from and because of their cultural and even religious obligations.They prefer it to be like that.What do you have to say for that? I guess the idea of feminism just applies to some women whereas others do not have much problem living their lives the other way around.Domestic violence and forceful marraiges are different issues.I am not saying they support that too because that is definitely unlawful and not acceptable.

3. The ideology and connotations with feminism have been misconstrued from the true ideals. You did a good job on touching upon what the actually denotation of a feminist is.

4. I agree that feminism is about having equal opportunities and the right to choose. Unfortunately, I’ve found that the feminist argument is weakened by the concept of total equality. Many women want equal pay, but no one wants to get drafted for war. By using equality as the basis of reasoning, feminists are forced to reject both the injustices and freebies society gives to women. The controversies that result ultimately fragment the effectiveness of the movement. Hypocrisies aside, aiming to resolve one injustice at a time is still better than no change at all.

5. I agree that feminism is about having equal opportunities and the right to choose. Unfortunately, I’ve found that the feminist argument is weakened by the concept of total equality. Many women want equal pay, but no one wants to get drafted for war. By using equality as the basis of reasoning, feminists are forced to reject both the injustices and freebies society gives to women. The controversies that result ultimately fragment the effectiveness of the movement. Hypocrisies aside, aiming to resolve one injustice at a time is still better than no change at all.