5 thoughts on “Jonathan Langberg

1. Hi, I’m Wendy Dann, I’m a freelance director and I teach directing at Ithaca College. I’m really responding to the cracked concrete..because it communicates what’s happening in the play…

2. Hi, I’m Mark Shanahan, a freelance director. I greatly appreciate your research and particularly like the cracked stone for the floor treatment as well as the brownstone doorways. Your attention to both the floor and the vertical world will nicely contrast with each other and create an rich surface for lighting.

3. Hi Jonathan,

My name is Pam Berlin and I’m a director.

You clearly have a strong response to the plays in terms of what they have to say about immigrants and people who are forced to leave their homes and settle in new and foreign places and how they are received (or not) in those new environments. I especially responded to the Dorothea Lange photo of the woman and her children as well as the the cracked concrete, both of which feel like wonderful places to begin in terms of metaphors that can be translated into something that conceptually expresses your feelings about what the plays are about. I would encourage you to keep going in this vein and get to the architectural specifics later.

4. love the political bent. can be hard to make work on stage, but is brilliant when it does work.
    BB

5. Hi Jonathan!

I really loved how your mood boards are fully grounded in the political struggle that immigrants are facing under today’s administration. The details you found in your research for architecture is fantastic, and I love how you made sure to take into account weather damage and the aging of the house.

Your digital collage is very provocative, and I really like that you leaned into the theatricality of what the set could be. Especially if most of the audience were seated above the stage, like in the Playhouse, I think working the protest signs into the pain treatment is extremely effective. My favorite detail on your collage is the barbed wire atop the brownstones. Medea clearly feels trapped in her home over the course of the show, and this really enforces that idea to the audience, while also bringing to mind the ICE camps and border walls that are a threat to immigrants.

Awesome work!!