8 thoughts on “Sarah Schwidel

1. Hello, I’m Mark Shanahan, a freelance theatre director.
    I was taken by your 1950s sensibility- it has a kind of suffocating sense of humor for a serious play which is interesting.
    Your script analysis is maturely and clearly written- particuarly the “world of the play” section.

2. Hi Sarah – Paul Miller here. Ooooh Sarah – I’m intrigued by your research and visual take on this. Your script analysis is thoughtful – I’m am looking for a little bit of the ‘connective tissue’ that got you to the mid (20th!) century vibe. The design and style of that time typically invoke a pretty specific emotion in most people so I”m not sure that there isn’t a pretty lift here – but I imagine I’d *really* enjoy hearing you explore this more. I saw Mojada at the Public last year (my buddy David Weiner lit it) and your research images alone have inspired me to get a copy of this script and think about this.

3. Hi Sarah,

My name is Pam Berlin and I’m a director.

What an intriguing setting for Medea: Japanese war brides in 1950’s America! And you back it up with your visceral response to the play. You found, in your research and the photos you provided, a wonderful entree into the world of Medea as you feel it and see it. Very exciting!

4. Hi Sarah, I’m Jennifer Werner (Director/Choreographer). Inventive setting using a Mid-century Japanese war bride as the central character. In doing so, you have many vectors of pressure already built into the DNA of the setting. However, it may paint you into a corner with passive victimhood. The script analysis of Medea’s psyche specifically is well reasoned–wondering how that person makes the leap to inhabit yours with her history of murder, calculation and cunning?

5. Sarah

I think the idea of setting Medea in the 1950’s is a brilliant move! That time era is focused on the perfect family or nuclear family which is a great contrast to what happens with Medea and her family. Also, as you masterfully show in your time mood board, the house wife is supposed to conform to all of these standards. It would almost seem as if all of this extreme pressure would finally get to Medea and she would snap once she finds out Jason cheats on her. In going along with the perfect family, the set you have collaged shows a simple household that would house a nuclear family. This gives off an eerie feeling as if it seems normal on the outside and seemingly normal on the inside. This nice, homey look makes the end events all the more jarring and unsettling for the audience to watch.