My Career in Modeling

You know what I want to do one day? I want to model. That’s right – I’m a math major, spending a few thousand dollars a year on my education, and I want to model for the rest of my life.

Okay, okay, I’m not planning to strut around in lingerie on a runway or anything… I’m interested in a different kind of modeling.

mathematical-model

Most people haven’t heard of mathematical modeling before, and, to be honest, I hadn’t until a few months ago either. In January, I was fortunate enough to get a tour of Penn State’s Pritchard Laboratory, directed by Dr. Diane Henderson. Dr. Henderson studies oceanographic phenomena; in particular, her research concerns abnormal waves (including but not limited to tsunamis). Now, when most people think of wave properties, their first thought is physics, not math. And I have to admit: physics isn’t exactly my cup of tea, so I was a little hesitant when I first heard about Dr. Henderson’s research. But, while, fluid mechanics is an integral part of the Pritchard Lab, its primary focus is, and has always been, mathematics. That’s right – Penn State is home to one of the United States’ nine math labs. But how, exactly, does the Pritchard Lab use math to predict tsunamis?

personal.psu.edu

Well, remember trigonometry, when you learned all about the wondrous world of sine curves? Yeah, fun times… I hated trig, I really did. But then Dr. Henderson showed me her wave tank. She used a calibrated machine to generate sine and cosine curves in the water, and superimpose them on each other. The waves traveled across the 100-foot tank, and then rippled back in what was the most beautiful demonstration of math I’ve ever seen (and that says a lot). Dr. Henderson analyzes the properties of these waves, and uses the data to generate equations which model the behavior of the ocean (this is a very, very oversimplified explanation, but right now, I think concept is more important than specifics).

So there I was, awestruck, watching numbers predict the intricacies of the natural world – and I knew in that instant that I wanted to do that for the rest of my life. To you, it may seem like math is a pointless subject, the relevance of which expires outside the classroom. Dr. Henderson’s work proves this isn’t the case; she’s able to use math to figure out how our oceans work, to get ships safely across the sea, predict wave patterns, and so much more. Numbers find their way into every corner of life, and everything around us can be modeled with the right formula.

mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net

However, I don’t envision myself working in the Pritchard Lab. Like I said, I’m not much for physics; yes, gravity is important and all, and waves are super cool – it just isn’t the field for me. Since January, though, I’ve been looking into other areas in which I could apply mathematical modeling. I’m leaning towards cognitive psychology – because who doesn’t want their brain mapped by a series of equations? In fact, there’s already a researcher at PSU who’s working on building a model to understand how our memories work (and he is most certainly not your stereotypical VS model).

Everything down to our minds, our very essence, can be mathematically modeled. And if that doesn’t make you take a step back and think math is cool… well, there’s probably an equation to help explain why that is.

5 Comments on My Career in Modeling

1. Bryan Costanzo
    October 14, 2016 at 5:23 pm (8 years ago)

Is there a way you can be a Research assistant for that professor. It would be cool to get a start on working in the lab very early on in your career.

Reply
  2. Dan Herlihy
    October 14, 2016 at 6:39 pm (8 years ago)

I think that one of the best ways to get people interested in math is to build and show them models like the wave tank you saw. If people can see math in the physical world, it might change a few perspectives from “math is boring and useless” to “math is slightly less boring and useless.”

Reply
  3. sjs6127
    October 14, 2016 at 10:32 pm (8 years ago)

Wow. That was surprising. I’ve never been someone who loves (or even really liked) math. But I’ve always loved science. And data. Which I guess is math but still. This was really cool to get to hear about your passion for math and all of the research being done utilizing mathematical modeling. Many props girlfriend! I could never do what you are doing. (:

Reply
  4. Abby Mapel
    October 17, 2016 at 4:08 am (8 years ago)

This is seriously the only reason I like math at all, because I find space so fascinating and it can all be explained with calculations. My calc teacher in high school actually had a poster that said “Math is the language with which God has written the universe” (pretty sure Galileo said it) and I think that’s kind of what you’re saying here. So pretty 🙂

Reply
  5. Jack Mo
    October 17, 2016 at 4:52 am (8 years ago)

I enjoyed the article, but I’m still baffled at how you don’t like physics despite the fact that the way I see it, the modeling you saw is just the physics of sinusoidal waves but with different names because I was literally just doing the exact same thing in my physics class.

Reply