Is ‘Shrek 2’ still good 20 years later? Yes it is

Charlie Garner

Opinion Editor

avg6206@psu.edu

With “Shrek 2” being recently re-released in theaters to celebrate its 20th anniversary, I thought it was a very appropriate time to review this fan-favorite movie that so many people still watch and love today. 

“Shrek 2” takes place immediately after the events of the first movie, starting with Shrek and Fiona’s honeymoon. When they return from their honeymoon, they are greeted with an invitation to Far Far Away to see Fiona’s parents, who are the king and queen, and to celebrate their wedding. The problem is that they are unaware of Fiona being with an ogre and being fully an ogre. The king and Fairy Godmother try to get rid of Shrek to have Fiona marry Prince Charming. 

Many people think that “Shrek 2” is better than the original. And I agree. It is one of the greatest DreamWorks films and one of the greatest animated sequels ever produced. To create an unforgettable and humorous experience, it amplifies all the elements that made the previous film a phenomenon.

The soundtrack to this “Shrek” sequel is honestly really good and all of the songs fit what is happening in the movie perfectly. Although “All Star” by Smash Mouth is a more iconic and memorable opener, “Accidentally In Love” by Counting Crows is a great starting song to “Shrek 2” that effectively captures Shrek and Fiona’s love. “Funkytown” is a good song to show a change in tone and location. “A Little Drop of Poison” is also a good song to show a new location, but in a different perspective. The Eels’s song, “I Need Some Sleep,” displays Shrek’s doubt and uncertainty. And he needs sleep. Haha. “Ever Fallen In Love” is just a banger song for an action sequence, and “Changes” by David Bowie and Butterfly Boucher is a great song to show Shrek, Fiona, and Donkey’s new looks. “People Just Ain’t No Good” by Nick Cave is a perfect emotional song that is similar to “Hallelujah” in the first movie. Audiences can really tell that the makers of this movie actually put a lot of effort into what was on the soundtrack and how the songs fit into each of the scenes. 

Of course, I have to discuss the “Holding Out For a Hero” scene, the big apex of the movie that is one of the most unique climaxes I have ever seen. It is incredibly action-packed, and the concept of the entire scene is so interesting. Shrek goes to save Fiona from drinking the Fairy Godmother’s potion to fall in love with Prince Charming by riding on a giant Gingerbread Man to get to the castle. And this is all while the Fairy Godmother does a rendition of “Holding Out For a Hero” by Bonnie Tyler. It might sound crazy, but it is one of the best scenes I have ever seen in an animated movie. I do not know how they came up with it, but it is so iconic.

“Shrek 2” is a great animated movie and it certainly holds up 20 years later.  And that might be a bit silly to say, but I will forever defend and have positive things to say about this movie.