The Characters- Their Scientific Careers & Their Not-So-Scientific Careers

Before I jump into the science of some of The Big Bang Theory’s episodes, I decided I would like to take an individual look at some of the major characters and actors.  Obviously, I have to start with the main character, Sheldon Cooper, played by Jim Parsons.  Parsons has had a very successful career with the show.  He has won an Emmy and a Golden Globe for his performance, along with multiple other nominations for awards.  Jim Parsons is also a very successful actor.  Most recently, he was the star for the Roundabout Theatre Company’s production of Harvey.  Having seen it myself, I can definitively say that he is an excellent actor, especially when his roles include him playing an eccentric.

Sheldon Cooper is a theoretical physicist who works at the California Institute of Technology.  The character’s main focus is to understand the universe, prove “string theory,” and win a Nobel Prize.  The European Organization for Nuclear Research describes theoretical physicists as follows:

“The main specialty of theoretical physicists is trying to understand ‘elementary particles’, which are the fundamental constituents of the Universe and the agents of the basic forces of Nature, like gravity. As it turns out, our ever-advancing knowledge of these “elementary” little things is also the basis of our understanding of the Universe as a whole!”

(http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/people/Theorists-en.html)

Sheldon’s roommate is Leonard Hofstadter, played by Johnny Galecki.  Galecki has been on multiple television shows, movies, and Broadway plays.  One of his most memorable roles was on Roseanne.  Leonard is an experimental physicist, who also works at Caltech.  Throughout the seasons of the show, many struggles occur as Leonard tries to deal with Sheldon as a roommate.  Part of the show’s plot has also included Leonard dating the woman across the hall, Penny.

Penny is played by Kaley Cuoco.  Her character is really what started the whole series off, by her moving into the apartment across the hall from Leonard and Sheldon.  The show has featured her “on and off” relationship with Leonard for a large amount of the episodes.

The last person that I want to feature is the newest edition to the show: Amy Farrah Fowler, played by Mayim Bialik.  Amy was introduced on the season 3 finale, as being the female version of Sheldon.  Throughout the last few seasons, Sheldon and Amy have started an actual “boyfriend-girlfriend” relationship.  This is a major progression on Sheldon’s part and truly demonstrates how the dynamics of the show have changed since its first season.

One of the most interesting things about her is that she plays a neuroscientist on the show, and she actually has a PhD in Neuroscience in real life.  Mayim is the only person on the show to actually have their PhD.  Another interesting point about Bialik, is that she was talked about in Season 1 on the show.  The guys on the show were looking for another person to put on their Phyics Bowl Team, and one of them mentions how TV’s Blossom has a PhD.  Ironically, Leonard states that they “are not going to get TV’s Blossom for their team.”  Little did he know, that three seasons later they would get her to join their team.

Jim ParsonsJohnny GaleckiKaley CuocoMayim Bialik

Sheldon, Leonard, Penny, and Amy

(http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_bang_theory/cast/)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to The Characters- Their Scientific Careers & Their Not-So-Scientific Careers

1. Lauren Mayer says:

I also saw Harvey over the summer! Jim Parsons was amazing. My mom, dad, and I are all avid Big Bang Theory watchers, so it was such a treat to see him on in person.

How interesting about Mayim Bialik! Amy Farrah Fowler has become one of my favorite characters on the show.