What are Martial Arts?

Karate, Judo, Taekwondo, Kung-Fu, Jiu Jitsu, Kendo, Wing Chun, and Muay Thai. When people hear the words, “martial arts”, these are what come to mind almost instantly. Everyone also has an idea of what these martial arts are, for most the idea is flying spin kicks, jumping really high, and punching stuff. However, they are much more than showy moves and acrobatics, and are not limited just to the Far East.

The Oxford Dictionary defines martial arts as “various sports or skills, mainly of Japanese origin, that originated as forms of self-defense or attack, such as judo, karate, and kendo.” While they are defined as mainly from Japan, they are not defined as solely from Japan. The important part of the definition lies in later half; that martial arts are forms of self-defense or attack. The definition basically means that martial arts equal fighting. While this is a large part of thing, the definition lacks to speak on the mental or spiritual aspects that invariably accompany martial arts.

Martial arts involve intense physical conditioning in order to fight at certain levels; some involve more than others. The right types of muscle strength need to be built in specific areas of the body, depending on the art being practiced. The muscle sought after is both strong and fast, and very dense. Even the bones of striking and blocking limbs often must be built up, which comes with time of actually doing the blocks and strikes, or through specialized training such as Shaolin Iron Body and Iron Palm training. There is also the cardiovascular strength required—anyone who has ever seen a fight can attest to the belligerents being out of breath after a while.

In order to build the level of physical fitness required there is the more important mental aspect. When your body wants to quit your mind must be able to command it to push forward—a very difficult thing to do. Martial arts are often referred to as human chess. The most successful martial artists can think multiple steps ahead of their opponents, and even if physically weaker or slower, can still defeat the opponent in a fight. Quit obviously one also has to be will to accept the fact that you can be hurt doing these things. You can get punched in the gut, kicked in the head, choked into unconsciousness, and hit with weapons.

Spiritual strength is, in part, tied to the mental in the sense that the will reinforces the minds commands of the body. Someone with a strong will can command their mind and body more easily. However, it is important to note that the mind and body can only do what is within their limitations. At a higher level the spiritual involves finding inner quiet and peace, as well as controlling the energy within one’s body. The Chinese refer to this as Chi. The energy can be used to protect the body from harm and deliver powerful strikes. Chi can even be used to project power and scare opponents from a distance through a simple look or feeling you give out.

Almost everyone thinks all martial arts come from Asia. This is simply not true. It is true that most come from Asia, but not all. Western martial arts include boxing, fencing, kickboxing, pankration, archery, planking, HEMA, et cetera. There are even arts from the near east. Most popularly Krav Maga. Each has its own style and way of doing things, but are nonetheless all still martial arts, and all still have the same characteristics as Asian ones.
Martial arts are a wonderful thing. They can improve every aspect of one’s life. You just have to be willing to try.

One thought on “What are Martial Arts?

1. This is an interesting post! I didn’t know that those Western physical activities were considered martial arts, but it makes sense that they are. I definitely agree that martial arts is so much more than kicking and punching. There’s an entire spiritual aspect, including meditation and yoga that are often forgotten. I did Taekwon-Do for a year, and I felt like a better person in general. I was stronger, more flexible, and had a better sense of perseverance and self-control. I learned life skills like self-defense, which will always be useful to keep in mind. Our Do-jang had a strong sense of community and respect too, so I got into the habit of always shaking my elders’ hands and being friendly to everyone, not just those I know.
    The other interesting thing you might want to look into is Kalaripayattu. It is the oldest martial art in the world, and originates in India. I was stunned when I learned about it, because everyone thinks martial arts come only from Japan and China.
    Can’t wait to read more!