Story Part One: First Memory

This weeks poem is titled “Story Part One: First Memory.” The poem is the first part of a fictional love story of sorts. When I wrote this part I decided that I would not focus on any rhyme scheme or particular patterns but I did reuse the same wording to give the poem a sense of continuity. For this particular poem I used “I remember” to connect the poem as well as repeating the same “I” structure in other locations. I have not decided exactly what approach I will take in the next part of this story, but after writing this part I may change the focus to another statement with a different structure but similar style.

“First Memory” tells of the first memory of the narrator and the love of his life. The opening line, “I remember when I first met you” is a bit misleading. The speaker definitely knew the subject of the poem before that moment as everything he tells about pertains to love. I did this intentionally. The speaker considers the moment he began to love as the first meeting. I found this utilization to give a greater pacing to the poem’s story. The listener gets to experience the entirety of the relationship in the span of a few minutes rather than feeling as if they walked into the lives of two random people. My goal in the speaker’s description of his lover was to paint a picture of a divine being capable of no wrong. The speaker is suppose to idolize and worship rather than just love. Don’t get me wrong this is not a situation where either person can take advantage of the other, but rather the two love each other so much that it rivals a religious experience. For the majority of the poem I attempted to keep the language simple so the speaker sounded like somebody trying to describe a supernatural moment, while I used more complicated wording where he was trying to find a way to express the grandeur he felt. I closed The poem with the same line as I started. The purpose was to bookend the poem as well as ensure the listener understood that the entirety of the poem is a memory being retold.

There are a few things in the poem that as the listener, you may want to pay extra attention to. There are lines in this poem that seem to betray the idealistic love that the speaker seems to be experiencing. The particular line I am thinking of occurs early in the poem. The other part to look for has to do with conflict. Every story has to have a climax so as this poem can be considered the introduction there may be some foreshadowing for the coming climax.

I hope you enjoyed the first poem I have ever shared with the world. If you have any advice let me know. I am always trying to improve.

2 thoughts on “Story Part One: First Memory