last name ever, first name greatest

Forever – Drake

Oh my goodness guys! A SONG FROM THIS CENTURY. This is craziness… not only is it from this century, BUT IT’S A RAP SONG.  I honestly am not a huge fan of rap, but since coming to college rap music has grown on me. There are a few rap songs that I really like… despite the vulgarity, inappropriate language, and just over all awfulness of the genre I can’t help but want to rap along. Rap songs are like a guilty pleasure (not that rock n roll is any better with sexual innuendos… if you’ve ever heard songs like Cherry Pie or Pour Some Sugar on Me you know what I’m talking about). But anyways…. this is like one of my pump up songs. I make CD’s for the car at home because I like to listen to songs I know all the words to while driving. On one of my CD’s, there’s a couple of Beatles songs, You’re the Inspiration by Boston, and I think even the Jo Bros…. and then there’s this song. Forever is smack in the middle of 60’s rock and Disney songs… and the look on people’s faces when they realize I know the words is always priceless. It’s so not a typical song I’d like, let alone jam out to. But hey, I’m full of surprises.

But there are quite a few rap songs that no matter how hard I try, I can’t hate them. I try and I try to dislike them, but I feel nothing but unhindered love for them. Some of my faves are Smack That (yes, the Akon song from like 7th grade… I’m obsessed with it), Lose Yourself, Lighters, Like This, Airplanes, Crank That, Low, Swing, Bottoms Up, Down on Me, Ice Ice Baby (I almost know all the words.. that makes me feel accomplished), to name a few. And Kayne. I’ve grown to like Kayne.. Power and Stronger. Now when it comes to rap music I am not quite as knowledgeable about the who’s and when’s. With my other posts, I could give a pretty solid background of the song and the artist, and I actually knew what I was talking about. My rap music knowledge is limited to what I’ve seen on VH1 Classic’s Rap One Hit Wonders and what my sixteen year old brother tells me. Since coming to college, I’ve been introduced to the wonder that is the Notorious B.I.G. I’m working on learning a little something about the rap industry (but I’m taking it slow… I just found out what Taylor Gang is on Sunday…). But I know what’s hip now… I’m obsessed with Thrift Shop and The Wobble. So basically rap music is like my I-know-I-should’t-but-I-can’t-help-but-listen-to genre…. but how can I resist? It’s just so much fun to dance to.

One thought on “last name ever, first name greatest

1. I’m not really a big rap fan either, but just like you, since coming to college, the genre has grown on me a little. I think it’s more about the catchy beat and rhythms then the actual song itself (if I can understand what the heck they are saying half of the time…). I’ve actually bought a couple of the clean versions of the hardcore, but popular, rap songs on iTunes, which can get quite hilarious. About 60% of the words are just cut out hahaha! Anyways, I really like listening to rap songs when I’m working out at the gym; they definitely pump you up and keep you going! THRIFT SHOP = MY FAVE EXERCISE SONG. Is it bad that I don’t know what Taylor Gang is either…?