Welcome! A Brief Introduction To My Site.

The “Thin Blue Line” is a term or phrase used primarily by law enforcement to represent the law enforcement community. Part of its purpose is to commemorate the fallen and show support for the living. It is a brother and sisterhood that symbolizes a community. There are over 900,000 sworn members of law enforcement that make up this thin blue line in the United States, but what happens when you have a community within that community? While there are no set numbers available, there are many openly LGBT police officers across America. Many major cities have created Gay Officers Action League (GOAL) chapters to represent these officers. These officers represent the thin rainbow line serving within the thin blue line. The focus of this archive is to provide a history of GOAL, from its creation to its struggles, and the life and culture of LGBT police officers.

The layout and customization of this blog is very simple and to the point. I want you to be able to come here and see everything at ease without having to do any extensive looking around to find something. The simple ease and flow of my sight without having to search through menus and tabs (though it can change) will make it for an easier understanding and want to read the posts. I chose a simple white, blue and black color scheme to coincide with the colors of the thin blue line that represent police officers. I chose the title “Thin Rainbow Line” because this archive is just that it is about the history and culture of the LGBT police officers that make up the Thin Blue Line. The image when you first come to my page is a black and white flag with a thin blue line and a thin rainbow line. I created this image in paint shop to represent the two lines and how they come together to represent LGBT police officers.

My own concept of identity is what fueled the design of this site. Being a police officer who identifies as a lesbian, I have deep roots to both law enforcement and the LGBT communities so being able to represent both as one was important to me in the design. I particularly wanted the rainbow to stand out so that those within the LGBT community outside of law enforcement could see immediately that they have a place here and they have representation and allies. This site in a sense is both exclusive and inclusive. It is exclusive because those who are going to relate to the posts and content are going to be LGBT police officers, yet it is inclusive because the goal and reach of this site is for all LGBT persons as well as police officers and allies, anyone really, to become aware of GOAL and the culture and struggles of LGBT officers.

4 thoughts on “Welcome! A Brief Introduction To My Site.

1. Thanks for the feedback Scott, I definitely wanted to keep navigation as simple as possible. I’m looking forward to having another law enforcement perspective on the archive.

2. Ashley,

You bring up great points! Discussing the intersectional identities is something that very well could quiet possibly become a post later down the road. You are also correct in saying it is an especially hostile time for law enforcement in 2017, which is part of the reason I am doing this as my archive. Many times communities look at police as the enemy and forget that behind the badge, police officers are human and face some of the same struggles. Your insight gives me a lot to think about.

3. Victoria,

The website looks great and is very simple to navigate! I like that I didn’t need to spend a lot of time orienting myself to the navigation and could get right to the content. I am looking forward to seeing the direction of your archive. As a prior law enforcement officer I understand the culture that exists within the profession. Couple that culture along with the one of the LGBT community and I am sure that there are a new set struggles and complexities that exists. I am looking forward to exploring this topic throughout the semester!

Scott

4. Victoria – I love your blog concept and that it is rooted in something very personal for you. I think that will develop into some very interesting content moving forward. My question for you for your archive will be how will you represent the intersectionality of identities that you present? Being a member of law enforcement in 2017 America is an especially hostile time… I would be interested to see pieces in your archive that talk of the LGBT identity along with members of minority races who are queer and law enforcement.