Bridging The Gap Between The Community & The Police

Two groups—members of the Philadelphia Police and a group of individuals currently residing at a LGBT shelter—came together yesterday afternoon in what one could easily describe as a real watershed moment for the community. Members of the newly formed Greater Philadelphia G.O.A.L. (Gay Officer Action League), a LGBT law enforcement organization, delivered a host of toiletries, towels, and other donations to Divine Light, a North Philadelphia residency for LGBT homeless.

“A lot of us have had bad experiences with the police, especially in the trans community.” “I just hope that from here, you can help other officers that aren’t that familiar with our community to be a little bit more respectful and not so quick to lock us up.” “It’s a big message that says our community is now part of the law, not only breaking it” “It’s nice to know there are people like me in the field.” – Morgan Drake

“These officers can level with us to understand where we’re coming from.” “When I see cops, I go the other way, just to refrain from anything,” “It’s a good feeling to feel that we matter even to the law.” -Leah Smith

The photos above are from an event in December 2015 when GOAL officers met in the 22nd district parking lot and took items to Divine Light, a new LGBT-housing shelter on North Hutchinson Street, in North Philadelphia. The officers reached out and asked how they could help and when told the residents needed necessary items to live the officers went out and bought those items and presented the items like toothbrushes, deodorant and shaving cream, among other things, to a roomful of nearly 20 LGBT Divine Light residents on Dec. 21. The officers spent the afternoon interacting with each and every resident, hearing their stories, telling their own stories, and finding out what they can do to help represent the community and better serve the community. Many of the residents told the officers they felt like they had no representation or that officers didn’t understand their problems and often didn’t take them seriously. Some residents even said they didn’t know becoming a police officer was an option for LGBT people. Two articles were written about this event one by the Philadelphia Gay News and one by Philly Magazine where the pictures were taken from. I chose to add these photos because not only am I in these photos and was at that event, I felt that this was a perfect representation of what GOAL aims to do within the community. I also added the reaction of some residents to show how they felt about having met LGBT officers and knowing they have representation. After all, in order to build trust and gain a working relationship between a community and its police force, you need a police force that works with the community not one that tries to manage it. Also, you need to have visibility and representation of all walks of life including all races, genders, or sexual orientations. Recent studies show that gay men of color are particularly vulnerable to stop-and-frisk and other forms of police harassment and intimidation. Transgender women are routinely profiled for prostitution and other sex-related offenses, while queer youth are twice as likely as their straight counterparts to report negative contact with the police. I also felt this was important because it shows another side of the LGBT police officers. Many of the officers in the photos have had life experiences on and off duty including interactions with coworkers that are similar to what non-law enforcement LGBT community members have experienced. Being able to give back to the LGBT community is a first step in a long process of building the relationship between the police and the LGBT community. By coming together, listening to each other, and working together we can move forward instead of backward.

For the full articles:

http://www.phillymag.com/g-philly/2015/12/22/philly-lgbt-officers-lgbt-homeless/#gallery-2-3

http://www.epgn.com/news/local/9807-sisterhood-and-brotherhood-in-the-gay-officer-action-league

One thought on “Bridging The Gap Between The Community & The Police

1. Hello Victoria.
    Again, I like your posts, and your site. It is always amazing to me that, as with other omitted histories of marginalized groups, police officers too, have some of their history omitted- in this case, the good, human history.
    As you presented here, police officers are involved, at least in South Philly, with LGBTQ+ members in a supportive and accepting way. This is rarely shared in any community. Information and news like this may help grease the path of cultural and political change for compromised groups and law enforcement officers. And, will definitely change the communication with, and understandings of, and from, LGBTQ+ members when interacting with law enforcement officers.
    Your event sounds exciting, rewarding and an excellent way to break, no, rid-the-ice between LGBTQ+ individuals and law enforcement officers.
    I am curious, perhaps you can enlighten me, why is it that queer youth are twice as likely to report negative contact with law enforcement officers? Is it circumstance? Perhaps, waiting outside a “family” (gay) bar, the police remain stealth, and wait for LGBTQ+ prey? Is it in the reporting itself? Is it culture?
    Also, I find it interesting that some of your Divine Light guests did not know that becoming a law enforcement officer was an option for LGBTQ+ people. Another opportunity lost-some of the best officers may be developed from the LGBTQ+ community. They certainly will be better rounded socially and perhaps politically.
    An educational and interesting post.
    Thank you, Officer Victoria- for all of your contributions. Stay safe.