To live for the hope of it all: the folklore love-triangle

Taylor’s surprise eighth studio album, folklore, dropped in July of 2020. That summer, her music gave us the imagery of cobblestones in the garden, clandestine meetings, sweet tea, ivy, and far off lands. She also used this album to present a number of both fictitious and biographical stories, including the one that touched the masses; that of a teenage love-triangle, the emotion and passion of adolescent feelings and forbidden romance.

This is that story, as pieced together from lyrics and the narrative provided from Taylor herself.

“betty” – written by Taylor Swift and Joe Alwyn

We begin on the doorstep of a girl named Betty, where a 17 year old boy, James, begs for her forgiveness after making what has so far been the worst mistake of his life. Summer has ended, and at Betty’s back to school party, James shows up to explain what happened when he cheated on her with a mystery girl. This song is James’ final plea, using his immaturity as an excuse for what he did.

I was walking home on broken cobblestones
Just thinking of you when she pulled up like
A figment of my worst intentions
She said “James, get in, let’s drive”
Those days turned into nights
Slept next to her, but
I dreamt of you all summer long

Watch Taylor Swift's Debut Performance of “betty” at the ACMs | Pitchfork

Taylor performs “betty” at the ACMs

James and Betty went the school dance together, but he left early by himself. That’s when “she” pulled up right next to him. He spent the summer with this girl, and the rumors flew as they do in high school. Betty eventually hears from her friend Inez, and proceeds to react as anyone would after finding out they got cheated on.

In this song, James confirms it was true. He asks her if she’ll ever forgive him, or if she’ll ever believe him when he tells her it was just a summer thing. He tries to convince her that despite all the time he spent with this other girl, he dreamt of Betty the whole time. His point, “I’m only 17, I don’t know anything, But I know I miss you”.

Taylor went into detail on country radio, “[James] has lost the love of his life, basically, and doesn’t understand how to get it back.” She said using one of the songs to tell it from the teenage boy’s point of view was a way connect to everyone’s individual perspective. “I think we all have these situations in our lives where we learn to really, really give a heartfelt apology for the first time. Everybody makes mistakes, everybody really messes up sometimes..”

This song means a lot to me. To hear something from the person who is at fault in the situation is a game changer in terms of storytelling. The song swells with pure confession and romantic country twang, it seems genuine. However, we don’t get to hear Betty’s response.. or so we thought.

cardigan – written by Taylor Swift and Aaron Dessner

Taylor explains in Folklore: The Long Pond Studio Sessions that “‘cardigan’ is Betty’s perspective from 20 to 30 years later looking back on this love that was this tumultuous thing.” This reveals that the most heart-wrenching and well written song on this album, about lessons learned and longing sadness, is Betty’s reflection on her relationship.

Folklore by Taylor Swift: 6 songs that explain the new album - Vox

“cardigan” music video

We learn that James’ efforts worked, and that night he stood on her doorstep begging for forgiveness, she forgave him. “In my head, I think Betty and James ended up together, right? In my head, she ends up with him, but he really put her through it.”, Taylor said. However, although she forgave James, she clearly never forgave herself, nor did she forget.

I could go on for hours, reflecting on each and every lyric of this song and what it means to this character and to myself, but I’ll just choose a few of my favorites.

And when I felt like I was an old cardigan
Under someone’s bed
You put me on and said I was your favorite
Betty was obviously rundown, she may have been quiet or shy, or had some baggage she was dealing with. It was James that picked her up and made her feel like more than that.
To kiss in cars and downtown bars
Was all we needed
You drew stars around my scars
But now I’m bleedin’
And it didn’t last long. What was good for a while, then turned into something that hurt more than anyone ever had. It was the simple things, like kissing in cars and downtown bars, that made their love beautiful and simple. It was that same beauty that made it hurt even more. I love that there’s a reference to kissing in cars. It was something that was special to Betty, but sure enough when the other girl pulled up to James and said “get in”, the car became something she didn’t just have for herself. It was one more thing she had to share with this girl.
I knew you
Tried to change the ending
Peter losing Wendy
This is probably the best line in the whole song. Cheating was James’ fault. And that scene he caused, showing up at her party asking for forgiveness in front of all her friends, obviously made it out to seem like he was the nice guy. And that his grand act was worthy of a second chance. If Betty didn’t forgive him, she’d probably be seen as the bad guy, even though she got hurt. Looking back, she sees he tried to turn it around. Peter losing Wendy- the best thing in his life, his youth and love.
The lesson from this song, and the lesson she learns 20/30 years later… “A friend to all is a friend to none. Chase two girls, loose the one.”
august – written by Taylor Swift and Jack Antonoff
This is the song that flips the love triangle on the third and final side.
“So I’ve been kind of in my head calling the girl from ‘august’ either Augusta or Augustine. I’ve just been naming her that in my head,” Taylor said in the Long Pond film. Our mystery girl has a name.
In the same way that I never thought to look at this from the perspective of the guilty party, I never thought of it from view of the “other” girl. Augustine was painted to be this bad influence, the one who inspired a more rebellious and hurtful side of James. After “cardigan”, it seemed as if she simply had everything Betty didn’t. It turns out, Augustine just wanted what Betty had, to feel special in the eyes of someone who loves her.
Will you call when you’re back at school?
I remember thinkin’ I had you
Augustine and James’ affair was fleeting, and full of uncertainty for her. She questioned if it would last past the summer. She recalls thinking it was real, when obviously he loved Betty. She was stuck being the girl that represented danger and short periods of euphoria and romance.
And I can see us twisted in bedsheets
August sipped away like a bottle of wine
‘Cause you were never mine
I love the double-meaning behind the word “august” in this song, now that we know it’s not just because this was a summer fling. I never considered how she must feel. Embarrassed, probably. She loved him, and she thought he was hers, turns out she was just the other woman. The “mistake”. I imagine what that does to another person.
For me, it was enough
To live for the hope of it all
Cancel plans just in case you’d call
And say, “Meet me behind the mall”
So much for summer love and saying “us”
‘Cause you weren’t mine to lose

This is my favorite part. Everyone knows what it’s like to sit beside your phone, constantly checking for the phone call or text. For that ounce of attention from the person you like. And when you finally get that halfhearted acknowledgement, it’s somehow enough to keep you going. To cancel plans in hopes of having others. SHE LOVED HIM!!! This poor girl cared for James and simply wished he cared for her too.

Folklore: The Long Pond Studio Sessions review – A triumphant debut

Folklore: The Long Pond Studio Sessions on Disney+

Although “cardigan” is probably the most well written and poetic song from folklore, “august” did the most for me. It showed me to look at the bigger picture in every situation, to look at it from everyone’s point of view.

I guess what I value most is the portrayal of the complications of life and love. This storyline takes something as fundamental as forgiveness and spins it in every way possible. Forgiveness seems simple on paper. James cheated, so will Betty forgive him or not forgive him? But it’s so much more complicated than that. What each of the three teenagers felt about each other matters. What Augustine felt as she too thought James loved her. The realizations Betty has even decades later.
Life’s core values and actions are complicated, and every person has their own story to tell. Everyone’s hearts feel differently. And Taylor gave me that lesson in just three songs.
I wanted to share this narrative not only to show the intricacy of Taylors songwriting, but to show you why it means so much to me. I know I’m crazy for dedicating so much time and attention to a hobby, and feeling so much passion for an artist that doesn’t even know I exist. But it’s because she’s somehow given me so much to think about through her music.
It feels like Taylor’s been in my shoes in nearly every song she writes. She somehow takes the dramatics and complications of my emotions and sums it up perfectly. She puts it into words, especially when I can’t. My latest hyper-fixation has been this love triangle, because of what it meant to her. She shared that even though it’s a story about three completely imaginary people, its based on true human emotion. It’s a phenomenon you can’t get from most music.

mib5764

3 Comments

1. This is the kind of music analysis I could spend hours reading! You did an amazing job of going in-depth and relating it to your own personal thoughts and emotions. This trio of songs also reminded me that everyone sees things differently, and the same situation could conjure different feelings.

2. I really loved your analysis and how you see these connected songs. Your retelling was really engaging!

3. Hello! This was a beautifully written blog post of the analysis of the Folklore Love Triangle. I have only been a fan of Taylor Swift for a little over a year now, so I’m a tad bit late to knowing and understanding all of the stories within her songwriting. As for the Folklore Love Triangle, I have heard bits and pieces of the songs connected, but I never understood or heard how there were intertwined. Your deep dive analysis of the Folklore Love Triangle is simple to understand and made my perspective of those three songs change. Originally, I I saw James as the “good guy” who just wanted forgiveness over a mistake he had made and how the thought and intentions behind his actions mean more than what he had done. After reading your analysis on Cardigan and August, I’ve realized that regardless of his intention or thought process after the fact, he had hurt more than one person. The hurt that Betty and Augusta/Augustine were feeling is beyond comparable to the hurt James must have felt. I think it is important to make note of the fact that both girls believed that he had loved them, and how James was never clear with either girls until the end of who he “truly loved.” Overall, the Folklore Love Triangle is a triad of beautiful and poetically written songs that thousands of fans can relate to or emotionally understand in some way, and for that it is some of Taylor Swift’s best written pieces of music.