WF ED 585: Evidence vs. proof

VS

So I typically don’t do this, but this blog is for others to think vs, me giving my point of view.  First hear me out!

Evidence vs. proof. It took me a while to wrap my head around that, especially after the Kirkpatrick readings. One article that I try to get before writing this blog without success is the Evaluating Training Programs: Evidence vs. Proof (Kirkpatrick, 1977),   However what I take from this is the way this four segments discussed (reaction, learning, behavior and results) related to effectiveness of the program.

So looking at my research with individuals with disabilities, the implication of evidence vs. proof really impact my ability to get buy in from the top and from those who I might train  when I want to make fundamental change. Proof is conclusive, while evidence leads to doubt. So, therefore it is simple right (always go with proof). But proof is not that easy to come by.

So here are my two question,

1. how do we use evidence as OD Evaluators to show our clients that the evaluations are meant to show evidence that a training/program is effective?
  2. Doesn’t proof equates to a bunch of evidence?

One thought on “WF ED 585: Evidence vs. proof

1. kmo5076

Terry I think a lot of us have struggled to wrap our heads around evidence versus proof. I think we struggle with it because for so long we were almost taught that if you have evidence you have proof. But that isn’t always the case is it? Just like you said having the evidence to give you the proof isn’t easy to come by.