Another Worthy Site Seeing Location!

I think the best natural wonders are ones that are right in our backyard and don’t need a an expensive plane ticket to get to these locations. It is always fun to have a road trip once in a while with family or friends, even though your family may get on your nerves very quickly. I encourage people to also start taking more road trips that require a car ride that is longer than 4 hours. Especially during these trying times of COVID19, staying within your own car to travel may be the quite best possible option, rather than going to an airport or train station. The place I recommend to travel to in this weeks blog is Apostle Islands located off the coast of Wisconsin. I had never been to Wisconsin before but I all I ever heard about it was they have great cheese and it’s cold. The Apostle Islands are a group of 22 islands in Lake Superior, off the Bayfield Peninsula in Northern Wisconsin. The majority of the islands are located in Ashland county- only Sand, York, Eagle and Raspberry Island are located in Bayfield county. Fun fact, this chain of islands was named by a New France historian who chose the name based off the twelve apostles (for the twelve largest islands).

Enough about the history, I will now try to give the most accurate description possible of what this location is comprised of. As I mentioned before, it it nice to take a road trip with friends to this location, and it is but once you drive to the shoreline of Lake Superior you will need to take a boat or paddle out to the islands to stay there or just take a look around. The islands are surrounded crystal blue-green water, which is such an interesting combination for me to see. There are underwater rock formations and above ground reddish cliff, rock formations, similar to what you would see in Arizona and Utah. The interesting feature part of these islands is the Sea caves. The sea caves such as Swallow Point on Sands Island and the North Shore on Devils Island have such prominent arches. In the winter, visitors are able to see the caves freeze up and can also see frozen waterfalls and chambers filled with delicate icicles. Like all the other places I have previously recommended, there are a multitude of activities to partake in. There is kayaking, water taxis, and even sight seeing cruises. Travelers are allowed to walk along the shorelines, hop from island to island and swim/walk in the sea caves. Visitors are also welcomed to utilize the camp grounds provided if they want to spend the night. If you are not quite comfortable traveling to this location yet, they also offer a virtual visit of the park found on their website that I will link below.

https://www.nps.gov/apis/index.htm

Wisconsin Explorer: Apostle Islands Grand Boat Tour - Bayfield Plan your Apostle Islands Vacation | Madeline Island Ferry Line

2 Comments

1. I could definitely spend a day or a week just kayaking and paddle boarding around these islands. I have been to Wisconsin a few times. Most recently about 4 years ago, and they do in fact have lots of cheese. The waterparks are surprisingly a big deal there as well as many other attractions.

2. Its crazy that these images are one of a location in Wisconsin, they look like something from an exotic destination. I like how you decided to write about these islands, as they are much more accessible to travel to yet still beautiful.