April 1 post/ In For the Long Haul

The next place I am choosing to persuade you all to look into visiting is Tokyo, it is definitely an extensive trip that requires a lot of traveling but is 100% worth the trip. I used to find Tokyo very off putting just because to get there is about a twenty-nine hour plane ride straight through, I could barely do seven hours to Italy! In ways I always thought Tokyo was just like New York City, with the bustling movement and big bright lights, but it contrasts in very different ways and definitely stands out. Tokyo is Japan’s and world’s most populous metropolis with a population of 9.273 million. The architecture in present-day Tokyo mixes the ultramodern and traditional, with neon-lit buildings but historic temples nearby. According to Travel U.S News, the best time to visit Tokyo is between March and April and September and November. The Autumn season brings great scenery of foliage and soothing temperatures; while the spring season has amazing foliage including world renowned cherry blossom trees. I would avoid traveling there in the summer due to the temperatures and it being peak tourist season. The best way to get around and navigate Tokyo is by the subway, it can take you anywhere in the city as soon as possible; the bus system can become confusing and taxis can become costly.

Even though Tokyo is an urban environment there are many diverse activities to take place in to make your trip super memorable. To learn about the history of Tokyo I recommend visiting the Tokyo National Museum or Edo-Tokyo Museum. To get an amazing overhead view of the city to see all its glimmering lights, take a trip over to Tokyo Tower or Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building. For some more historical sites, head over to Sensoji Temple and the spiritual Meji Shrine; Sensoji Temple is the oldest religious site in Tokyo and is dedicated to Asakusa Kannon, the Buddhist god of mercy and happiness. There are many guided walks and tours that may interest you as well, for example Mizumoto Park is Tokyo’s largest waterfront park that also offers family bike tours. Tokyo also has amazing diverse culture and food to explore and some unique customs to learn about. My recommendation would be to visit a great Soba restaurant to have some great soul food, but remember it is part of customs to take off your shoes and no food or drinks should be brought it. I hope one day, like all the other places, I get to see with my own eyes one day. But for now I will admire Tokyo’s beauty from a distance.

First time in Tokyo? Here's what you need to know | The GOOD LIFE Where and when to see Japan's cherry blossom in 2021 | Times Expert  Traveller

https://www.gotokyo.org/en/plan/diverse-culinary-culture/index.html

https://travel.usnews.com/Tokyo_Japan/Getting_Around/

2 Comments

1. Victoria Vanriele

I wanted to visit Tokyo this summer for the Olympics! Because of Covid and now there’s no spectators allowed anyways that won’t happen but it also seemed to me like a NYC type metropolis. Especially being in quarantine right now there’s nothing more I want to do than leave Eastview, let alone travel. I love how you included some of the historical buildings. You had really great imagery.

2. Your images for Tokyo look sick! I have had so many friends go to tokyo and go “mario-karting” there, which is something that is offered in the city. I would also adore the food and kawaii shops there, as i have a slight obsession with asian food and culture! The fact that some soul-food areas do not want you to come with shoes inside their restaurants is so interesting too! I would love to go there some time after reading your post. 🙂