New fast food chain may be the next “Chipotle”

Its hard to imagine a fast food joint better than the very popular Chipotle, but Sweetgreen is making a rise and some people say that it may top Chipotle. Sweetgreen was started by three Georgetown University graduates in 2007 in the Washington D.C. area. The founders wanted to make a place that has healthy food options at a reasonable price because they feel like it is too expensive to eat healthy. Sweetgreen is gaining popularity fast and new locations are popping up every where including D.C., Philadelphia,Boston, Los Angelos, New York, and San Francisco. The author of this article uses numerous rhetorical appeals to persuade and get the readers to go to Sweetgreen. First, by comparing it to Chipotle, which is an already established and popular fast food place, the audience knows that this place must be good and becoming popular because most people enjoy Chipotle. Also the article states that every employee wheres shirts that say “passion and purpose”. This is utilizing pathos because when people see those words they will believe the workers have passion for the food and customers and a strong purpose to serve good healthy food. The article is aimed at an audience for people that care about eating fresh, locally produced, natural food. Sweetgarden uses fresh, local ingredients at every location and constantly changes its seasonal menu. These factors will have a strong appeal towards people that want to eat fresh food and support the local farmers and produce. The article also uses logos to persuade the readers about Sweetgreen by stating that it already has 31 stores open and many more in the upcoming years. Also the chain has now gotten 35 million dollars from private investors to increase the number of stores being built.

4 thoughts on “New fast food chain may be the next “Chipotle”

1. Chris McDonough

This is a really interesting topic. I had never even heard of the place until this post but it sounds like a really good idea. I thought the comparison to Chipotle in the title really brought the readers attention to the post.

2. Megan Conrad

This blog was very interesting. Sweetgreen sounds like something worth trying. I liked the evidence you found of pathos incorporated onto the employees’ uniforms.

3. nrr5134

Tyler,
    Good job on analyzing the author’s persuasive techniques. If private investors think it’s good enough to spend 35 million dollars on, it seems like Sweetgreen might be a company to keep an eye on if it ever goes public sometime in the future.

4. Eryn Petrakis

I like your blog choice. It’s very interesting and grabbed my attention and made me look it up. Probably because of the comparison of Sweetgreen and Chipotle. Also, good explanation of rhetorical appeals.