Our group is dedicated to improving the imaging of subsurface geology structure and its physical properties using quantitative geophysical methods (seismic and ground-penetrating radar). Our approaches include wave physics theory, numerical simulation, and the analysis of field data. In particular, we develop wave theory of seismic attenuation and advanced (micro)seismic imaging techniques. Some of applications include hydrocarbon exploration, geothermal exploration, CO2 sequestration, near-surface characterization, and hydraulic fracturing.
- Oct 2018. Dr. Tieyuan Zhu have received J. Clarence Karcher Award from SEG 2018 in recognition of his work in seismic attenuation via viscoacoustic theory, Q compensation in RTM, and expertise in computational geophysics. citation, about J. Clarence Karcher.
- Sep 2018. Welcome Ms. Nan Huai from Jilin U., Mr. Tao Liu from CUGB, and Ning Wang from CUP, as visiting students in our lab for a year.
- August 2018. Welcome Junzhu Shen from USTC and Zi Xian Leong from UW-Seatle, join us.
- April 2018. Congratulation to Guangchi, 1st year PhD student, for his presentation “Fractal mechanical network for frequency-independent Q model and its viscoacoustic wave equation” (ranked as the 2nd place of Pre-comp PhD) in the 51th Geoscience Graduate Student Colloquium. Well done!
- March 2018. Welcome our first Postdoc fellow Dr. Chao Huang from Tongji University, join us. His research interests mainly are (micro)seismic full waveform inversion. ——————————————————————————————
- Oct 2017. Our Geophysics paper [leading authors: Zhiguang Xue (UT) and Junzhe Sun (UT)] adapted my early viscoacoustic wave equation (Zhu and Harris, 2014) to accelerate full waveform inversion to invert seismic velocity model. This is the first time to use fractional Laplacian viscoacoustic wave equation for full waveform inversion. Check out our paper here!
- August 2017. Our paper shows first time in situ seismic attenuation extracted from continuous active-source seismic monitoring data and we found attenuation (unlike seismic velocity) has sensitivity to CO2 injection through the three days’ injection period, which has been published in J. Geophys. Res.. Check out my paper!
- August 2017. Welcome our new group members, Mr. Guangchi Xing from Rice University, and Ms. Aoshuang Ji from Sun Yat-sen University. They will explore exploration seismology with me! ——————————————————————————————
- July 2017. We published a paper to address issues on the stability of attenuation compensation for RTM in Geophysical Prospecting. Check out our paper!
- June 2017. Congratulations to Ms. Mengyao Ji (U. of Houston), her SEG abstract (I am a co-author!) was accepted as an oral presentation in coming SEG annual meeting in Houston. Its title is “Using PSPI to accelerate seismic Q modeling based on Hermite-distributed approximating functional”.
- May 2017. I published a paper in Geophysics to show simulations of anisotropic-attenuation waves.
- Mar 2017. Our paper entitled “Viscoelastic reverse-time migration with attenuation compensation” just came out in Geophysics. This paper show the theory of viscoelastic RTM with attenuation compensation to improve the PP and PS image resolution, which was highlighted in the section of Geophysics bright spot.
- Jan 2017. Jie Yao, a Ph.D. student in ME from Uni. of Houston and his advisors in UH, and I published a paper in Geophysics to introduce a local method to improve the accuracy of solving the viscoacoustic wave equation with fractional Laplacian.