Returning to Matsumoto

It’s odd, the trepidation I thought I would have in traveling back to Matsumoto is not there. While the first two summers traveling to Matsumoto was one of the most nerve racking parts of the trip, for, once I arrived in Matsumoto I knew everything would be alright. This time around it was smooth sailing and the sweat only came from carrying heavy bags in the heat of Tokyo in July.

I’m now familiar with the subway, train, and bus; know which platform/stop I need to stand on and what the kanji of my departure and destination. Cash in hand I breeze through buying tickets and finding the stop, making it look ‘easy’ to Abby. We took the bus to Matsumoto from Shinjuku Station. You can also take the train from here but if traffic is good you can make it to Matsumoto only 30 minutes later than the train and for ½ the price (3,500 ¥ instead of 6,900 ¥).

Abby on the bus from Shinjuku to Matsumoto

On the way out of Tokyo it seemed like the city goes on forever, even though we started on the west side or the city heading west. Slowly, apartment buildings give way to rice fields scattered amongst buildings and the bus begins to climb into the hills to the west of Tokyo. Here even the emblematic rice fields fade, restricted to valleys, where the hill slopes are covered in plantations of trees.

The morning haze had not yet fully burned off when we left Tokyo, but about ¼ of the way to Matsumoto between Tsugi (cedar) covered hills glimpses of Fuji-san were had. Not long enough for a photo but an overpowering smile appeared on Abby and my faces, with anticipation of better views ahead. Alas, the clouds lowered and we did not see Fuji-san again. I know however, that we will see our smiling friend again throughout the summer from the peaks of the Northern Alps.