The Way of the Warrior

The Way of the Warrior: Discipline and Perseverance

This winter I felt that I was really coming into my own at Penn State. I was spending upwards of 20 hours each week applying for opportunities, attending club activities, running for leadership positions, and making connections. The Friday before break I uninstalled every game and meme app on my phone, to commit more fully to my personal growth.

Then the virus came. I suddenly lost almost all contact with classmates and friends, and saw my plans derailed. It was tempting to take that newfound time to reinstall some games and embrace self-pity. I needed to find something to do to maintain my edge. Two quotes by the legendary Sun Tzu came to mind, and helped lead me forward.

“In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity.”

With so many of my commitments shattered, I was forced to look within myself for growth. I realized that I had a shelf filled with pioneering literature I had not yet read. The Analects, The Federalist Papers, The Wealth of Nations, and even The Art of War. I had also been inconsistent with workouts, and now I could make it part of every morning. Fixing my sleep schedule also did wonders for me.

I realized that I am surrounded by resources, physical and digital, that most historical legends could not even imagine. I resolved to actively look for opportunities, or create them for myself when none existed. For anyone struggling with home confinement, consider all of the untapped opportunities literally at your fingertips, and you will never lack for something meaningful to do.

“Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.”

This quote is at once beautiful and brutally condemning. In today’s society, a victim mentality prevails. If a person believes that success is unattainable, then they will be proven right every time. There is a better way, one that leaves you with more peace and joy.

First, believe that you will endure, no matter the outcome of a given event. Know that you are more than one loss or one setback. Then, strive to bring about whatever outcome it is you seek, remembering that you do not depend upon it either way. Commit yourself with full confidence, and you will achieve; if not that outcome which you desired, then the strength and growth that will lead you to future success.

Discipline and perseverance go hand in hand. There is no discipline which cannot endure struggle, nor is there a capacity for perseverance without strong will. Find the opportunities within the chaos, or make them yourself. Sun Tzu offers one last piece of good news.

“Opportunities multiply as they are seized.”

Go forth and conquer!