Underrated Artists

These artists deserve the hype!

Superego

Fig 1. Cam Potts

Now, I’d like to introduce you to Superego, otherwise known as Cam Potts. This is by far the smallest artist I’ve had on this blog, as he has just 275 monthly listeners on Spotify. Potts has been a songwriter and guitarist for a multitude of other artists, but used the name of “Superego” for his own individual work, or what he calls his “musical ventures.” The biggest artist he has worked with was Marika Hackman, but has since moved on to collaborate with others. In his biography on Spotify, it says Superego was a 4 man show, but since then Potts has debuted as a solo artist back in 2020 with the help of Dani Bennett-Spragg, who he calls a “mix engineer.” An extremely underrated artist, Superego produces such cool music that you should definitely give a listen too!

The words I would use to describe this type of music is mellow rock, with some out-of-this world feeling vocals. It’s a unique style. Superego says it best, describing his music as combining the “guitar based sound of the 90’s with shimmering shoegaze-inflected soundscapes to create something that is undeniably scuzzy and impassioned.” Such a description is difficult to put into words, but I think Potts did a great job!

My favorite song is Halo, which is also his most popular song with over 50,000 streams. The rock-esque guitar paired with the cool soundscape and beats is really sick. The vocals are smooth, the chorus being the best part (in my opinion). It goes from a high pitched, mellow lyrical and beat mashup to a guitar solo that scratches my brain perfectly! It’s just such a different vibe than what you normally hear on the radio, that I have to love the cool style.

The next suggestion is Sleep, Superego’s debut single that was released back in 2018 (when they were still a 4 man band). It sounds similar yet wildly different than the previous recommendation. I’d say it’s almost a more dark, haunted vibe. The vocals are really shaky and seem muffled, while the guitar is much more aggressive than Halo. It is still an amazing song, so I highly recommend listening!

Lastly, one of my personal favorites that I feel is underrated has to beDust from their most recent EP released in 2021. It reminds me more of Halo, being very mellow with a relaxing guitar background. I’m absolutely OBSESSED with the chorus, it’s so melodic and magical. I feel like I’m transported somewhere else.

So, I’d say out of this entire blog Superego is the most criminally underrated. They need more listeners and streams ASAP, so go listen to them!

Next Post

Previous Post

3 Comments

1. rad5764 March 30, 2021

It’s so interesting the amount of impact that an individua. can have on another individual’s success. For example, today, if you and the 3 people who are going to comment here follow superego, we are going to represent almost 2% of all his followers on Spotify! I think that’s a way in which we can show a lot of support for artists like him and help small content creators.

2. ped5133 March 31, 2021

Every time I read your blog, I open my music app immediately. I’ve been blasting Jaypitts for the past couple of weeks, and was so happy that your blog helped me find some new things to listen to. I listened to Halo by Superego, and the song almost gave me 2009 Cage the Elephant vibes. Overall, I’d say I like it! All of your music recommendations are very unique, which is so refreshing.

3. Heidi April 7, 2021

I’ve been looking for new music on Spotify for so long and my “Daily Mixes” and “Discover Weekly” playlists have not been the best. I’m happy to find a blog that focuses on underrated artists because I just think it’s so great when people listen to something other than the norm (Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, etc). There are some incredible songs out there, but they can be so hard to find so thank you!