Wendigo

The Wendigo is a man-eating creature or evil spirit that is native to the forests of the Atlantic Coast and Great Lakes region. Some descriptions of the Wendigo describe it being a monster with some characteristics of a human. Others describe it being a spirit that possessed a human and made them become monster-like. The Wendigo is typically associated with murder, greed, and other taboos.

This legend comes with its own medical term: Wendigo psychosis. This is described by psychiatrists as a syndrome that has symptoms like an intense craving for human flesh so much so that they develop a fear of becoming a cannibal. In Indigenous communities, a manifestation of Wendigo psychosis (or a sign of a Wendigo) is environmental destruction and greed.

The Wendigo is typically present in the North during winter time. One knows when a Wendigo is present due to the obvious signs: disturbing, gruesome murders, famines, and a large increase in crime.

Some believe that one becomes a Wendigo due to excessive greed while others believe it happens when one tastes human flesh. Wendigos are also said to be greedy due to the fact that they don’t stop eating people as they never get full. When they eat a person, they simply grow in proportion to the meal they just ate.

When a famine occurs and the presence of a Wendigo is apparent, there is a ritual called wiindigookaanzhimowin that is performed. This ritual includes the wearing of masks and dancing backwards around a drum.

The Wendigo is an ever-present creature in today’s pop culture society. It has appeared in countless movies and shows such as Supernatural, Grimm, and Hannibal. Its appeared in videos fames like Warcraft and Dungeons & Dragons. It even appeared in Marvel Comics, its first appearance being in The Incredible Hulk.

13 thoughts on “Wendigo”

1. Hey, the top image was produced by me, and you’ve used it without permission, or even giving credit to the artist. Frankly you’re ripping off other peoples work to make your site look better – Please take it down.

1. Technically it falls under fair use for educational purposes. Once you post something online it is no longer just yours. And if they didn’t directly get it from you they are not at fault. If you don’t want your artwork used I suggest you get it copyrighted and add a signature or watermark.

2. Technically it falls under fair use for educational purposes. Once you post something online it is no longer just yours. And if they didn’t directly get it from you they are not at fault. If you don’t want your artwork used I suggest you get it copyrighted and add a signature or watermark. Also can you prove it’s your artwork??? They’re not ripping anyone off as they are not making monetary value off your artwork.

2. so scary but at the same time its crazy how that the wendigo could be real bec my freind showed me a pic of the wendigo in there back yard

3. I think the wendigo is cool and if was real, it would be creepy walking in the woods at night

4. The only wendigo related being that I was aware of before reading this was Alastor from Hazbin Hotel, and he is pretty damn spooky, otherwise I think Wendigo are 100% spooky.